what's the dif dci and dcs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joshg8tr:
what is the difference between Decompression sickness and Decompression illness ?
I'm sure the good Doc can go into much more detail but in a nutshell: DCI includes both DCS and AGE. While they are two separate conditions, the initial treatment is the same so they are sometimes grouped together to simplify things.

James

This is my understanding of it. :06:

In the past, a distinction was to be made as to whether the problem was the result of a gas embolism or the formation of an in situ ("autochthonous" = formed in place) gas phase. Since it make really little difference in the field and the treatment options are similar, it was decided to simply eliminate the need to make a diagnosis in the field and call all decompression problems “decompression illness.”

Thanks for the info guys. whatever you call it, it sounds really bad. The info was for extra credit on the scuba course my son just passed. We are going to Key Largo this weekend for the check out. Another life long diver gets his start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom