What's the difference between DM and AI 20 skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can a course director or IDC staff instructor tell me what the difference is between the 20 skills for the DM and the AI courses. I thought both were to be of demonstration quality pretending to be doing it for students?

I understand that both require at least 3 points per skill with a total of 68 points. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Can a course director or IDC staff instructor tell me what the difference is between the 20 skills for the DM and the AI courses. I thought both were to be of demonstration quality pretending to be doing it for students?

I understand that both require at least 3 points per skill with a total of 68 points. Is this correct?

Thanks.

If you are referring to "The Skill Circuit" on the Skills Evaluation Slate, there is no difference. BOTH need to be at demonstration quality, which means broken down into their primary components & done slowly (usually with some exaggeration).

Just in case you were wondering why this is the case: because as Certified Assistants sometimes DMs are required to display skills or to help a student practice a skill before going back to the Instructor for evaluation. Hence the need for them to be able to perform them to demonstration quality.

And yes to your 2nd question.

Hope that helps,

There's actually a secret 21st skill for assistant instructors, but since it's a secret, PADI only refers to the "20 skills" outside of the IDC. So really, the 20 skills are the same, except for the secret 21st skill that can only be revealed during the IDC. And it's a secret, so don't ask any more questions about it or some guys in black wetsuits will show up at your door and put an end to your questioning.

I echo SubMariner there - absolutely no difference in the scoring system between DM and AI - they are both assessed on the same criteria (minimum 3 for each skill except mask removal, replacement and clearing, which has a minimum score of 4. Passing grade is 68 (and yes, 80 for IDCS) but if you're scoring 68 points you need a LOT more practice!

Be warned of overly-enthusiastic staff instructors (particularly new ones) who get it into their heads that they have to be a bit more sadistic, sorry, stringent(!) during AI or OWSI classes. In some cases this means candidates get graded down unfairly - on the other hand you'll do the skill better next time!

Another point to note: The skill demonstrations during your confined water presentations are assesed slightly differently to the 20 basic skills circuit... just make sure all your students can see your demo - that's all I'm saying! :D

Have fun!

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom