What's the function of this piece?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wide_open

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently purchased the 30# wing and have enjoyed it except for one issue.

The piece of material that flaps over the inflator/dump hose chafes my neck every time I dive. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this? I’ve tried Velcro-ing the piece to the side so that it doesn’t do this, but that hasn’t worked. What is the intended purpose of this flap? Thanks…

Hmmm, I've never had a problem with this, but you could try slipping something soft over it (even if it's a cut up sock or bicycle inner tube or something). It's only there I guess to keep your inflator in line and secured in a safe spot. I wouldn't think it's really needed, so you could always just cut it off if it was that much of an issue. Possibly it would dangle more wildly? ...but I doubt that would be much of an issue. On a side note, to keep mine secure and not dangling at all, I just loop a hair-tie around my right shoulder d-ring and around the mouthpiece of the inflator. Keeps it super streamlined and out of the way, and it's incredibly easy to just pull out and slip back in.

I think it's meant to help position the inflater hose. It does cover the elbow and streamline it a little.

It apparently isn't God's gift to divers or Oxycheq would be making a bigger deal about it. Most likely it's just a design detail to help differentiate theirs from the competition.

Pete

Cut it off. It serves no purpose other than making it harder to attach your corrugated hose.

Thanks for all the comments...yeah, I think it's another good spot for OxyCheq to put their logo.

PansSiren, thanks for the tip on putting a band on the D ring to keep it streamline. Great idea. I'll give it a shot.

I haven't had any issues with that flap rubbing my neck. It doesn't seem to be any where near my neck for that matter. My inflator hose goes over my shoulder and down the back a little bit before it meets the bladder. Not sure how it can rub on your neck unless perhaps you are wearing it too high, or the wing is mounted too high on the back plate. I don't know without seeing it...just offering some possibilities.

Thanks for the tips..I might be wearing the wing higher than I should.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom