what's under there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gomi_otaku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This may sound really stupid, but what do you wear under a wetsuit? All of my pool time was just a swimssuit and BC, amd I'm not doing my OWs until July, but still in pretty cold water, in Farmer Johns which I have never even tried on before (supplied by the instructor per our sizing) I may just want to go out and start looking at suits so I can get in some local snorkeling/freediving before the OWs (it's cold in MN, and the weather's not helping this year)
thanks,
gomi_

gomi_otaku:
This may sound really stupid, but what do you wear under a wetsuit? All of my pool time was just a swimssuit and BC, amd I'm not doing my OWs until July, but still in pretty cold water, in Farmer Johns which I have never even tried on before (supplied by the instructor per our sizing) I may just want to go out and start looking at suits so I can get in some local snorkeling/freediving before the OWs (it's cold in MN, and the weather's not helping this year)
thanks,
gomi_

Regular trunks work for most, especially if you're settng up roadside or at the beach.

I would not dare to show up for checkout dives without having at least tried on the actual suit. Getting a jump on things with skin diving is a great idea, you'll get accustomed to the water and your suit. You can even drill mask clearing though it's a bit harder with a snorkel. You can feel open water on your face and clear your ears as you pike down. It should do wonders for your comfort level. You'll also get your legs conditioned greatly reducing the chance of cramping on your check-out dives.

Lots if good info in the Exposure Protection forum.

I'm in a holding pattern on checkout dives until June 8 and skin diving is what's keeping me sane!

Pete

Wetsuits are generally just normal bathing suits underneath. Some people will wear a "skin" underneath that makes it easier to get on and off. If you will be doing a lot of diving up in MN then you will eventually look into getting a drysuit, in which case (depending on which kind you get) you can just leave your tshirt and jeans on and you will be dry and dressed when you get out of hte water.

A bathing suit is normally worn under a wet suit. As mentioned, you can add a skin over the bathing suit if you wish. it does make it easier to get he wet suit on and some skins are a little thicker providing some extra elevel of warmth. I agree you should try the wet suit you will be using on before your actual O/W classes if possible to make sure it fits properly unless your instructor is bringing extra suits in case there are problems with fit.

Actually I have been using Under Armour® for quite a while. Just go to you local sporting goods shop and pick up a pair of the boxer briefs, if you are a stud you could go with the brief or a Speedo®. The nice thing about it is that you don’t have trunks that ride up and bunch up and you don’t have to “Bare it all” or hide in the bushes to suit up if you are going commando. It also dries in no time so you can be in street clothes in no time. If I wear just trunks I wear a sleeveless Under Armour® top to keep the BC from rubbing. Hope this helps cause it really works for me.

Go commando.

Trunks give you major wedgies.

Skins are for wussies.

You doan' need no stinkin' Speedo.

Just pay attention to the zipper.........

OUCH!!! just be careful when your pulling up your suit as not to wedge your trunks up. Make your you get one of those smooth sets of trunks meaning with no big pockets and stuff. Or the easiest solution go dry :eyebrow:

Geodiver81:
Actually I have been using Under Armour® for quite a while. Just go to you local sporting goods shop and pick up a pair of the boxer briefs, if you are a stud you could go with the brief or a Speedo®.

I'll second the Under Armour. I'd been using a swimsuit, but it was annoying when it would bunch. Then I'd just wear a pair of boxer briefs--it was better, but they stayed wet and wouldn't dry. The UA dries quickly and stays where you want it. Speedo also makes a product called Jammers, which is supposed to work nicely. Here's a link to those: Speedo Jammers

Yep, Speedo jammers on the bottom, UnderArmor on the top. Makes those wetsuits slide on much easier and helps to avoid any embarrassing social faux paus. Works well for me.

I bought a pair of Reebok running shorts (much like the Speedo Jammers) at Kohls for $18. I wear them under a pair of shorts until right before I put on the wetsuit. I lose the shorts and put the wetsuit immediately after so the boat doesn't have to see my in tight shorts for much more than 30 seconds.

Upon finishing the dive I doff the wetsuit and don the shorts again immediately. Works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom