What's up with Defender?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
SubGravity no longer has an active page for Defender CCR. Has the line been taken off the market?

I made note of it a few weeks ago to Thornton and he said he would look into it.

In other news the new tigersharks should be available soon from Juergensen Marine which is a substantial improvement.

In other news the new tigersharks should be available soon from Juergensen Marine which is a substantial improvement.
It would have to be an improvement. There is not other direction for jm stuff to go but up.

As someone who recently purchased a pre-owned Defender a few months ago....I sure hope they will continue to support the unit going forward. But I can also see them focusing more on the XCCR, Flex 2, and FX CCR.

It seems to have been removed from their Build A Rebreather page and the latest Subgravity email blast makes no mention of the Defender. I suspect they're trying to silently deprecate the production line.
Not sure where that leaves us for support for the SG-1 handset? I can't say I blame them. It makes no sense for them to support the X-CCR and Defender production lines, in addition to the FLEX and now FX-CCR.

Mine had to go back to Subgravity once for repair. Thankfully they were able to fix it pretty quickly but I've noted numerous software glitches with the controller. I really like the whole IQsub platform (vayonet fittings/ scrubber / quick-clock connections) but I'm not a fan SG-1 controller. I do hope they can at least provide limited support here for a while.

Because of this I ended up buying a blank Defender head with two monitoring ports and I installed a capped DS4 with a needle valve on my unit. My primary head is essentially a poor man's Fathom and I kept my the Defender head stock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom