Currently manufactured FMCL/OTSCL rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedSeaDiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
I've made a decision to move on from my current rebreather, and am looking at options for rebreathers that have FMCL or OTSCL with manual adds etc on the counterlungs - essentially the same thing but some manufacturers call them FMCL's and some call them OTSCL's.

I'm not totally up on what models are out there these days - haven't been to a dive show for a few years etc. Below I have listed the ones that I know of - but if anyone can think of others that have FMCL/OTSCL's then please reply to biuld up the list.

• AP Inspiration
  • Poseidon Se7en
  • Subgravity X-CCR
  • Meg
  • Divesoft Liberty
I suspect that there are others out there but can't think of any off the top of my head so please add to the list if you can

I've made a decision to move on from my current rebreather, and am looking at options for rebreathers that have FMCL or OTSCL with manual adds etc on the counterlungs - essentially the same thing but some manufacturers call them FMCL's and some call them OTSCL's.

I'm not totally up on what models are out there these days - haven't been to a dive show for a few years etc. Below I have listed the ones that I know of - but if anyone can think of others that have FMCL/OTSCL's then please reply to biuld up the list.

• AP Inspiration
  • Poseidon Se7en
  • Subgravity X-CCR
  • Meg
  • Divesoft Liberty
I suspect that there are others out there but can't think of any off the top of my head so please add to the list if you can
Hollis Prism2
Subgravity Defender
Dive Rite O2ptima (admittedly MAVs on the loop)

Of the list, X, Meg, and the Liberty are kind of it. The flexibility of the Liberty is nice, but I don’t love the controller buttons and layout. Defender is proprietary electronics, O2ptima has kind of a goofy bottle loadout (but can use pre packed scrubbers if that is your thing). Not a fan of Huish / most people I know continuing to dive the P2 were given them and the scrubber is kind of a pain to pack. I’m not sure why anyone would purchase an AP these days outside of academic work or buying a cheap used first unit. The Poseidon is…Poseidon. At least it has a nice BOV if that’s your thing.

Hollis Prism2
Subgravity Defender
Dive Rite O2ptima (admittedly MAVs on the loop)

Of the list, X, Meg, and the Liberty are kind of it. The flexibility of the Liberty is nice, but I don’t love the controller buttons and layout. Defender is proprietary electronics, O2ptima has kind of a goofy bottle loadout (but can use pre packed scrubbers if that is your thing). Not a fan of Huish / most people I know continuing to dive the P2 were given them and the scrubber is kind of a pain to pack. I’m not sure why anyone would purchase an AP these days outside of academic work or buying a cheap used first unit. The Poseidon is…Poseidon. At least it has a nice BOV if that’s your thing.
Cheers Grant. I can't see the Defender even listed on Subgravity's website so they may have dropped it. I like the flexibility but would have preferred them to have Shearwater displays. Agree your thoughts on the Inspo and Poseidon.

I guess it comes down to the Liberty and the X-CCr then for me to choose from.

The defender is out of production from what I can tell.

They are no longer advertising it. I believe all of their efforts are going into the FX and flex.

This is not an official word but what I see happening. I'm not sure if they're still supporting them or not and to what level.

Having owned a prism with BMCL, I can tell you that there is definitely a fair share of front mount count along divers out there on those.

Much about the prism is a pain in the ass.

However it does have Shearwater electronics, And you can pick them up fairly cheap in the three grand to 5 grand range usually in really good shape. I sold mine for $2,500 bucks.

If I had to buy something that I really needed front mount lungs for I'd be on a Meg. I'm not sure which is current, but there are at least a few types of counterlungs which are over the shoulder or front mount available.

The issue with the Meg(imo) comes down to cost it's easily top of the chain in cost.

The defender is out of production from what I can tell.

They are no longer advertising it. I believe all of their efforts are going into the FX and flex.

This is not an official word but what I see happening. I'm not sure if they're still supporting them or not and to what level.

Having owned a prism with BMCL, I can tell you that there is definitely a fair share of front mount count along divers out there on those.

Much about the prism is a pain in the ass.

However it does have Shearwater electronics, And you can pick them up fairly cheap in the three grand to 5 grand range usually in really good shape. I sold mine for $2,500 bucks.

If I had to buy something that I really needed front mount lungs for I'd be on a Meg. I'm not sure which is current, but there are at least a few types of counterlungs which are over the shoulder or front mount available.

The issue with the Meg(imo) comes down to cost it's easily top of the chain in cost.
Even more expensive than a Divesoft Liberty?

I guess it comes down to the Liberty and the X-CCr then for me to choose from.
I can't even get SubGravity to reply to messages asking if there is a service agent/centre in Australia so that narrows things down to the Liberty.

Back
Top Bottom