Extreme heat and temporary scrubber storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm sure that I will regret posting this but last weekend on the dive boat we had a debate about temporary scubber storage conditions and heat. A few of my dive buddies have been trained and have gotten in the habit / routine of immediately taking their scrubbers out of their rebreathers and putting them in a drybag / sealed container immediately after diving. Their thoughts are having the scrubber sitting in direct heat inside the rebreather can somehow compromise the scrubber and lead to a CO2 breakthrough. They also cited leaving the scrubber in the unit could cause caking / clumping which they believe could result in channeling and allow a CO2 bypass.

They immediately bag their scrubber to "cool it down" and remove it from the humid / wet enviroment of the rebreather. I am a bit skeptical of this since I dont think it's an issue with a properly packed scrubber. I dont think there are any issues with immediately removing the scrubber from the unit post-dive but I question the science behind it.

They said they just feel better / safer if they immediately take their scrubbers out of their units and remove it from the moisure / humid environment inside the rebreather. I'd rather go by science than feelings.

Me personally - I see no real value in doing this immediately but I'm willing to be educated if I'm somehow doing something adverse to my scrubber. I do not like opening a rebreather on a dive boat and prefer to do this when I get home. I dont see how leaving the scrubber in the rebreather for ~8 hours is going to cause issues but the conversation focused on having the rebreather sitting in direct sunlight effectively baking in the back of the boat and then sitting the bed in a pickup truck on the drive home. Let's say for sake of argument 90-100f (37c) degree heat wave / sitting in direct sunlight. I realize this is basically every summer day in Florida.

My opinion is provided the scrubber is not flooded and the rebreather is not compromised there is no more CO2 flowing through the scrubber material and the reaction should be minimal. Furthermore we all know heat makes the reaction more efficient but I'd like to understand if there is a mechanism here that would damage the CO2 absorbant. The rebreather is essentially a closed / sealed system at this point albeit with a good amount of moisture and heat inside when sitting in direct sunlight.

To be clear - I am not talking about long term storage. I'm talking about doing subsequent dives the next day or a few days later.

Scenario: You pack a fresh scrubber on Friday night and do a dive on Saturday morning to 160ft (48m) for a 90 minute total runtime. Cold water (mid 40s to low 50s/8c) but no major current or high levels of exertion. It's a particularly really hot (90-100f) degree day and the rebreather is sitting in the back of the boat for 8 hours followed by a 2 hour drive home in the back of a pickup. You have another dive scheduled for the next morning.

In the above scenario the person took a CO2 hit 5 minutes into their dive the next morning. They believe the reason was because they left their scrubber inside the rebreather. This scenario happened many years ago and was not recent nevertheless it changed the way they handle their scrubber. Now I realize there are hundreds of other variables that could have caused this and it's really hard to definitely know the root cause. Anything from a mushroom valve to scrubber channeling from bouncing around in the back of a boat or pickup truck, high workload, etc.

I called b*llshit on leaving the scrubber in the unit causing this I'm happy to be educated here if I'm somehow cooking my scrubber by leaving it inside the unit on particularly hot summer days. For me I have no qualms about leaving the scrubber in the rebreather if I am diving the next day however I usually open everything up when I get home, dry outside the inside of my canister with paper towels, dry my cells and rinse counterlungs. I then seal everything up for the next day and re-do my rebreather checks. This has worked for me for many years and hours of rebreather diving without issues.

I have read the paper on "Storage of partly used closed-circuit rebreather carbon dioxide absorbent canisters" but this isnt really applicable

Is there any actual science or studies behind temporary scrubber storage inside a rebreather and high heat (100f/38c+)? I'm looking to have a friendly conversation and not, "My rebreather instructor told me this and you're going to die."

Reactions: OTF
I'm going to agree with you.

Depending on the scrubber design there may have been some additional compacting of the dry sorb in the additional boat ride and bed of the truck ride.

I would be opening the rebreather to dry out the inside and clean up some lung butter. I would be rotating the scrubbers in my rEvo and put a fresh one in. But I am guessing the bigger issue would be with a single radial flow scrubber design. Not heat/moisture of the sorb.

I would not do any serious dive 24-48h after packing it. We are talking about 15$ worth of scrubber and potential CO2 problems and ruining a dive if nothing more serious happens.

I wouldn't worry about it in the scenario you described and like you, I'd open it all up when I got home to let it air dry.

Question, what type of unit did they take the hit on? I wonder if it was something like a KISS Classic that didn't have a spring to help keep the scrim compressed and that a bumpy boat / car ride caused things to settle and shift.

I wouldn't worry about it in the scenario you described and like you, I'd open it all up when I got home to let it air dry.

Question, what type of unit did they take the hit on? I wonder if it was something like a KISS Classic that didn't have a spring to help keep the scrim compressed and that a bumpy boat / car ride caused things to settle and shift.
I believe the unit in question was an original PRISM Topaz so it was a while ago. I "think" the scrubber design is similar to the Hollis Prism2 although the Topaz gas flow is the same as the Fathom compared to traditional units which I dont think had any bearing on the issue but I just figure I'd mention it.

A few comments.

The concern about the humid environment of the closed rebreather is a non-issue for overnight storage. The scrubber reaction is a hydrophobic one, meaning the scrubber must contain water. Moving it to dry storage overnight is not going to accomplish anything useful.

And yes, you can store the scrubber in the unit for a number of weeks between dives. Always be aware of the stack time, and don't do a long or deep dive on anything but a fresh scrubber. I've been doing this for 15 years with no problems. If you forget the stack time, start fresh.

@macado , I don't see issues with what you've described based on my experience and research. However, I started taking the scrubber canisters out and remove the tanks for a different reason - easier to haul the unit w/o those.

A few comments.

The concern about the humid environment of the closed rebreather is a non-issue for overnight storage. The scrubber reaction is a hydrophobic one, meaning the scrubber must contain water. Moving it to dry storage overnight is not going to accomplish anything useful.

And yes, you can store the scrubber in the unit for a number of weeks between dives. Always be aware of the stack time, and don't do a long or deep dive on anything but a fresh scrubber. I've been doing this for 15 years with no problems. If you forget the stack time, start fresh.
I've stored scrubber in rEvo for a month w/o issues. For full disclosure: I am very much rigid about drying the unit as well as I can and I also have blanking caps. I.e., my unit becomes a dry zipper bag. The unit is then stored in a Pelican case which is at room temp, around 74F.

Scenario: You pack a fresh scrubber on Friday night and do a dive on Saturday morning to 160ft (48m) for a 90 minute total runtime. Cold water (mid 40s to low 50s/8c) but no major current or high levels of exertion. It's a particularly really hot (90-100f) degree day and the rebreather is sitting in the back of the boat for 8 hours followed by a 2 hour drive home in the back of a pickup. You have another dive scheduled for the next morning.

1. In some countries (Israel summer for example) - this can get even hotter.
  2. In some countries (Israel summer same example ^^) - the water will be ~84f.
  3. 8 hours being on a boat makes sense (ropes off 07:00 -> two dives -> back at 15:00).
  4. Takes me also 2h do drive home.
  5. No major scrubber issues spotted here due to #1,2,3 and 4.
Have another dive scheduled for tomorrow? get home -> remove head and scrubber from the unit to dry:
  1. cells dry off from condensation.
  2. Scrubber should dry off (it won't completely for the next day I guess - but it will dry some).
  3. +wash loop in fresh water.
  4. evening/night - unit assembly checklist from scratch. if not sure scrubber is dry - might consider doing it in the morning (but do it!) to let it dry off some more.

In the above scenario the person took a CO2 hit 5 minutes into their dive the next morning. They believe the reason was because they left their scrubber inside the rebreather. This scenario happened many years ago and was not recent nevertheless it changed the way they handle their scrubber. Now I realize there are hundreds of other variables that could have caused this and it's really hard to definitely know the root cause. Anything from a mushroom valve to scrubber channeling from bouncing around in the back of a boat or pickup truck, high workload, etc.

1. which checks were completed in the morning? just pre-breath and went diving?
  2. if yes for #1 - A few checks could have excluded most of the other reasons - but not scrubber.

Matan.

I live in a fairly warm and humid climate, being in the Caribbean, with water temps between 78ish & 85° F. Depending on the work schedule I dive 2 night dives and one day dive a week, sometimes more. I dive the AP Inspo and I take it down after every dive, mostly to dry the lid. The scrubber get wiped down to remove external moisture and then put on a holder on my peg board. I stay within my time constraints, but dive the scrubber to the limit. In 200+ hours of diving it that way I haven't had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom