Whats wrong with the Scubapro X-Tek Pure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not on the website in it's entirety for a reason. I don't post it here for that same reason. I prefer to personally interact with those who request it for the same reason.

ScubaPro is NOT owned by Jarden Corporation. The parent company is Johnson Outdoors of Racine Wisconsin!

---------- Post added July 17th, 2015 at 11:08 PM ----------

ScubaPro is not owned by Jarden Corporation. It is owned by Johnson Outdoors of Racine Wisconsin.

correct, sorry, had the wrong J brand on my mind. Either way, Johnson Outdoors is held by Johnson Family Enterprises, so just as bad when compared to the little guys.

Back to the original question - why no info on Scubapro X-tek? I too found very little information/reviews except a Youtube by simply scuba. However the specs ( 1680 exterior, 420 internal bladder) look good from a robustness point of view, Scubapro is a reputed brand & makes good products ( so I don’t expect anything fundamentally wrong with the wing) and I good an good deal in the UK ( £220) for the 18 kg ( 40 lbs) wing. The only thing that I found a bit different is their balanced inflator having both inflate & deflate buttons on the same side ( as against a stand K inflator) - which is either a matter of getting used to or one can change to a K inflator.

Back to the original question - why no info on Scubapro X-tek? I too found very little information/reviews except a Youtube by simply scuba. However the specs ( 1680 exterior, 420 internal bladder) look good from a robustness point of view, Scubapro is a reputed brand & makes good products ( so I don’t expect anything fundamentally wrong with the wing) and I good an good deal in the UK ( £220) for the 18 kg ( 40 lbs) wing. The only thing that I found a bit different is their balanced inflator having both inflate & deflate buttons on the same side ( as against a stand K inflator) - which is either a matter of getting used to or one can change to a K inflator.

I can’t answer why there isn’t much info about the X-tek series but I can tell you one of my dive buddies who has been a ScubaHo cheerleader for 30 years got rid of his X-tek Form backplate and two wings after only about 6 months of ownership. He shifted to xDeep for both his SM and backmount rigs.

Personally, I think the ScubaPro rig is overdone - too much padding, the sculpted waistband is weird, too many fixed D-rings and those that are adjustable require complicated manipulation. No thanks - wrong direction, ScubaPro. It seems to me the product developers were overcome by the marketers who seemed intent on appealing to existing ScubaPro recreational divers, those cautiously curious about technical diving but not quite ready to jump into the austere nature of a DIR rig.

ScubaPro toe dippers...that’s what the X-TEK series is about.

I’m sure one vocal guy here will be along any second now to proselytize from the hilltop about the superiority of ScubaPro so you’ll have some contrasting opinion to inform the inclination of your choice.

I was only talking about the X-Tek wing .... the rest of my set up is a standard Backplate with DIR harness

There's nothing wrong with the X-Tek wing - I have a Tecline BP/W setup (polish company, solid quality stuff, good pricing), my wife has an X-Tek. I have a 15L, she has a 13L. Both of us have standard backplates with a DIR harness. The X-tek is perfectly good quality, solid, good stitching, nothing wrong with it. But I still prefer the Tecline for a number of reasons, namely: K-style inflator, built-in STA 'roll bars', and slightly longer tank band slots, so it lines up with pretty much any backplate. I don't really like STAs, prefer the soft built-in option. But the quality on the wing is perfectly good if you can get it for a good price.

Thanks! for the info on X-tek wing & I agree that the inflator is different from the usual K - which is something I am going to form an opinion on after several dives with it.
I have a DGX wing for singles & the X-tek 18 kg is to be my doubles wing. For me - I have an STA ( ~0.5 kg part of my weight calc) & trim weight pockets on my cam bands. For Doubles I plan to remove the STA & bolt on the doubles wing + weights in the V weight pouch. This helps me keep a light weigh & modular set up for travel/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom