What's your breakfast before diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4000 calories a day is obscene? I think that number sounds low, given an average adult male would need somwhere between 2500 and 3000 calories a day. Just to keep your body functioning you tend to need 1500-2000 calories and thats without any activity.
People who exercise need a lot more and I think its safe to say Phelps, an olympic athlete, exercise.
If you want to talk obscene ammounts of calories, look to tour de france where the cyclists consume over 6000 calories a day and they still lose weight over the course of the tour. They actually struggle with stuffing their face well enough..

EDIT: Using myself as an example of the "average adult male" Im about 75kg, 178cm (165 lbs/5'10") wich makes my BMI 23,6 which is high end of ideal weight.
My BMR (Base metabolic rate) would then be ~1750 calories burned just being alive.
Without any activities accounted for this Mount Hægefjell - Elevation 1021m by Even.A.Lie at Garmin Connect - Details workout, which is good, but by no means extreme puts me well over 3000 calories needed and thats before the days even half done..

I believe Phelps' number was closer to 11000 calories, not 4000. I know when I was 22 and working out every day I ate 12000 calories per day (yes, for real) and gained exactly 4 pounds in a month and a half of working out that much. After that I decided I didn't enjoy the gym enough to spend 3+ hours there every day and brought my caloric intake back to a more reasonable number. I was still exercising a lot, though, so I was still around 6,000 per day. I have a ridiculously high natural metabolism, though. In the end, Freewillie's statement is what makes the most sense. Eat a balanced diet, exercise a reasonable amount and you will most likely be able to eat what you want occasionally.

I actually think the numbers was over 5000 calories per day for Michael Phelps. He started out his day with a stack of pancakes. Then proceeded to eat something like two large pizzas and a whole bunch of other foods. I do remember when I was in high school a long distance swimmer Janet Evans was eating Snicker's bars just to get her calories up.

I did a quick calculation for myself. At 5' 5" and 136 lbs I have a BMI just under 24 - healthy weight. I need about 1700 calories/day to maintain my body weight with a sedentary lifestyle, and just over 1900 calories for light exercise (20 min or less 3 x's/week)

If you consider 340 cal excess per day can lead to 35-40 lbs in a year, imagine what 3000 cal per day would do to me (at over 1000 cal/day excess). A single meal at Carl's Jr. with one of those $6 burgers and fries with a soda would be over 2000 calories (conservatively, the burger alone is around 1300 cal) you don't have to eat "a lot" to go over you calorie limit.

I would presume most of us are in the mild to moderate category for exercise, and some of us are even sedentary. Most of us don't need as many calories as we think.

I do apologize, didn't really mean to hijack the thread.

One or two bottles of water...and none of the fancy water neither.

Scuba diving....I can eat anything. It doesn't matter. A pepperoni pizza half hour before the dive....good to go.

Free diving....very different story. Major carbs the night before. Pancakes, oatmeal, banana shakes....the morning of diving....maybe two bananas. Major heartburn free diving if I eat. But when I come home....whooaaaaa....

We often have beans for breakfast with eggs. Or whole rye toast, buttered with real butter. I raise my own chickens, feed them lots of veggies and weeds, along with organic grain. They are free range and free range chickens have a much higher omega 3 profile to their eggs. Since we try to eat high protein, high omega 3s, I don't feel bad eating quite a few eggs, especially since I'm trying to loose weight. When I really stick to a high protein/low carb diet, it really works, even when I eat pretty high fat.

If you consider 340 cal excess per day can lead to 35-40 lbs in a year, imagine what 3000 cal per day would do to me (at over 1000 cal/day excess). A single meal at Carl's Jr. with one of those $6 burgers and fries with a soda would be over 2000 calories (conservatively, the burger alone is around 1300 cal) you don't have to eat "a lot" to go over you calorie limit.

I would presume most of us are in the mild to moderate category for exercise, and some of us are even sedentary. Most of us don't need as many calories as we think.
Now thats of course the REAL interesting part. The fine line between just enough, "too little", and too much and how much little you need to tweak it for big effect in the long run. This is where most dieters screw up, cause they adjust too much for too fast results and then they pop right back up after theive achived their goal and start over - yoyo dieting ftw..

If youre working, even in an office, sedantary is probably a wrong lifestyle choice though, It would be more accurate to use the basal metabolic rate and then start adding your exercise/activity to that anyways..

I dont quite agree with the "most of us dont need as many calories as we think" part though - I think its more a matter of "most of us have no idea how many calories we need and how many we eat"...

For me, it's location dependent.

At home, I'll grab a few fresh bagels and orange juice at Safeway on my way to the Sonoma, CA coast.

On my last trip to Kona. I discovered the kalua pig breakfast croissant at Buns in the Sun. Just have them add a bit of their island BBQ sauce and it was the ideal breakfast to have with some fresh fruit juice at the dock chatting with the boat crew.

On the Peace liveaboard (in SoCal) they ran it "Hobbit-style". There was first breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch . . . .

they do claim more meals is better.. but that of course require the meals to be smaller too, something Im not quite as good at as I should be :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom