When does the world go metric...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Ontario I buy my gas in litres, drive along in Km/hr, order cheese and deli meats in grams, look at the temperature in celsius degrees and the amount of rainfall or snowfall in mm. Windspeed is described in Km/hr on the Weather Channel.

I had a rental car here to drive down to New York state. Usually the speedometers here are in both Km/hr and mi/hr. However, this one was just in km/hr. I had to stop and calculate to know when I was speeding in NY :D

Officially metric, eh?

But I measure diving depths in feet and tank pressure in psi coz that's how I was taught to dive. The speed of the St Lawrence River is in knots. I measure my weight in pounds coz that's what I grew up with. If I want to buy wood it comes in 4X8 sheets or 8 or 12 foot lengths.

shoredivr:
Here in Ontario I buy my gas in litres, drive along in Km/hr, order cheese and deli meats in grams, look at the temperature in celsius degrees and the amount of rainfall or snowfall in mm. Windspeed is described in Km/hr on the Weather Channel.

I had a rental car here to drive down to New York state. Usually the speedometers here are in both Km/hr and mi/hr. However, this one was just in km/hr. I had to stop and calculate to know when I was speeding in NY :D

Officially metric, eh?

But I measure diving depths in feet and tank pressure in psi coz that's how I was taught to dive. The speed of the St Lawrence River is in knots. I measure my weight in pounds coz that's what I grew up with. If I want to buy wood it comes in 4X8 sheets or 8 or 12 foot lengths.

Yup that's my pet peeve living in Ontario. I had to learn "imperial" when started diving 'cause all of our instruments were made for the US market. So I'm like you, schizo when it comes to measurements. On land I use metric for speed, long distances, temperature and volume. When going to Home Depot or Rona I use imperial. When looking at real estate I use sqft instead of sqm. And then there is diving! Water temps in F ( 30s to low 40s - cold water- mid 40s to high 50s - normal Ontario diving -80s -hmmm.. I'm in Mexico :wink: ). Sometime next year I'll be replacing my gear and I'm seriously considering switching gauges to metric.

beejw:
to answer the OP, the capacity of a tank, is how measured by its volume at 1ata, multiplied by the pressure youre going to cram into it.

for exmaple, if i have a tank that will hold 80 liters^3 of air at 1ata, and i then force 200 ata of pressure on it, you multiple 80x200 giving you a total capacity of 1600 liters of air.

i think.
i could be totally wrong.
someone confirm this for me. im just going with what my chemistry teacher told me when we did gas theory.

Yeap you could be totally wrong but your not. Just a little.
First of a 80Litre tank is a very large CNG or LPG tank for a car, Id hate to do a shore dive and carry that to the dive site. Next you dont have cubic litres eg Litres^3. Thats like having square hectares. 80x200 is 16,000 litres not 1600. And you would only get this in Ideal gas laws theory. In practice air does not compress uniformly and at 200 bar or (ata) you will get slightly less than 200 times the 1 bar amount. at 300 bar you get about 8% less than 300 times more.
But I think you were on the right track.

Marcin2005:
Sometime next year I'll be replacing my gear and I'm seriously considering switching gauges to metric.

My PDC is set to metric.

My Oceanic pressure gauge is in BARs and depth gauge in meters !!!!

Packhorse:
Yeap you could be totally wrong but your not. Just a little.
First of a 80Litre tank is a very large CNG or LPG tank for a car, Id hate to do a shore dive and carry that to the dive site. Next you dont have cubic litres eg Litres^3. Thats like having square hectares. 80x200 is 16,000 litres not 1600. And you would only get this in Ideal gas laws theory. In practice air does not compress uniformly and at 200 bar or (ata) you will get slightly less than 200 times the 1 bar amount. at 300 bar you get about 8% less than 300 times more.
But I think you were on the right track.

Is something wrong with having 80 liter tanks now then?! :D :D

Here are two just like mine:

averoykompressor.jpg

They are rated 300 bar wp, so crank up you calculators now fellas! :14:

Marcin2005:
Yup that's my pet peeve living in Ontario. I had to learn "imperial" when started diving 'cause all of our instruments were made for the US market. So I'm like you, schizo when it comes to measurements. On land I use metric for speed, long distances, temperature and volume. When going to Home Depot or Rona I use imperial. When looking at real estate I use sqft instead of sqm. And then there is diving! Water temps in F ( 30s to low 40s - cold water- mid 40s to high 50s - normal Ontario diving -80s -hmmm.. I'm in Mexico :wink: ). Sometime next year I'll be replacing my gear and I'm seriously considering switching gauges to metric.

Learning to dive in a completely metric country makes life easier...then when you take your metric brain and metric gear back and make fun of how backwards everyone is...

Went on a road trip in Canada in an American-made car where the Km markings existed, but were very hard to see, but it ended up not making much of a difference as the speedometer didn't work anyways, though I was told that every 10,000 RPM was about 25 miles an hour to try and "help" things...amazingly, no tickets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom