When the "stuff" hits the fan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one that you won't believe...because I didn't believe it and it happened to me.

I was doing training to be a NAUI instructor and we were in an open water sample classes. We each had our skills we had to teach and were being drilled on what to do if a student has a problem. Well mine was to teach the out of air drill. I did mine then instructed the "student" who started to do the drill but then freaked out and paniced to get to the surface. They had their regulator in so I thought it was the "standard" freak out drill. Little did I know that they were actually out of air and bolted the 20' to the surface.

Well he was pissed, and I was confused as I had an extra regulator ready to hand to him.

Recreational divers don't normally do this, but it might be useful to go through in your mind exactly what you would do when each piece of equipment fails. I actually do this myself, I do NOT like betting my life on any one piece of equipment or system.

None of us can survive all dives if everything fails, but we should be able to survive single item failures.. so WWYD:

Reg freeflows
Reg stops
BC starts inflating by itself.
You notice that you are at 100 feet and it is getting hard to breath and the guage is in the red.
mask strap breaks
regulator mouth piece falls off and you start choking
weight belt falls off (or if you are lucky you catch it on the back of your knees)
you get tangled in fishing line around the first stage and can't see it.
Fins strap breaks and you lose a fin.
You lose your buddy
You get lost underwater and have no idea where the anchor line is.
You jumped in and you forgot to turn your air on.
You are caught in a current that is taking you where you don't want to go.
You computer stops working or you can't understand it.
Your computer says you are in deco.
Your BC is leaking bad and not holding air.
Your dry suit gets ripped.
You are trying to make an exit on a rocky shore and the seas have increased dramatically.
A few sharks come around and appear agitated and aggressive.
A Moray eel tries to bite you (or does bite you)
You've totally exerted yourself and now find yourself gasping for air on the bottom and you begin to feel a strong (and natural) urge to bolt for the surface.
You've pulled yourself down an anchor line and when you get to the bottom, you find that you are drastically under-weighted.
You crawled under a ledge to catch a lobster and now you are wedged and seem stuck.
You come to the surface and there ain't no boat where you left it.
You've gone way deeper than you intended and you are scared and narced.

Then we can go into scenarios where your buddy has problems, does stupid things, requires help etc.

It probably helps to at least envision what you would do when stuff like this happens. And if you keep diving long enough, probably a lot of those things will happen sooner or later.

Whoa, that's a bunch but I'll try and please someone tell me where I go wrong

1. Keep it in my mouth, clear it in an attempt to correct the problem, get buddies attention, turn tank off then on again, abort the dive if all else fails

2. Switch to alternate, abort via cesa if air wont work

3. hold deflator button, hang on to buddy, abort dive

4. Get buddies attention, give ooa signal and get his reg, start controlled ascent

5. Manually hold mask to face, clear it, assess

6. This one is tricky, it depends on if i have any breath left and which is faster, first try to get aas, but I suppose I press the regs free flow button and hold it up to my mouth to breath manually

7. Put it back on, grab buddy to control ascent

8. Don't panic, calm down, remove knife cut myself free

9. Cuss, keep diving on one fin

10. Look for a minute iaw the dive plan, surface and deploy smb

11. Same as above

12. Put snorkel in, turn it on

13. Let buddy know, swim out of it, reassess

14. Use other instruments, forget computer, ??

15. I don't know for sure but I would do a series of stops at ascending depths prior to safety stop

16. Fin my way to surface, if too negative, dump eights, of course always let buddy know

17. ??? Never dive dry

18. Tough, I might try to get to an alternate exit point with fewer rocks, go as far as I can subsurface

19. Try not to turn my back to them and get big and defensive in an attempt to deter them, make my way out of the water

20. If he tries, leave it be, if he does, assess the damage and get out of his ao

21. Stop, think, look at gauges to reassure myself, surface in control

22. Let buddy know and thumb dive

23. Don't panic, if necessary, remove bc and free myself, bang tank to alert others of my problem

24. Inflate bc, deploy smb, wait, if within a couple miles, start finning for shore

25. Don't panic, ascend, reassess, at least that's the idea

The trouble with sh** hitting the fan is (1) it is usually something that you are completely unprepared for - you can mitigate this with drills, but it is quite hard to plan for the unexpected, and (2) like the Titanic, every disaster usually involves a combination of more than one thing going wrong, and at least one or two bad decisions along the way.

We all know that you are not supposed to dive with a head cold. Or with a bit of gear held together by duct tape. Or using borrowed gear that doesn't fit well. Or ... etc. But we all do it from time to time.

Excellent points.

My personal rule is when the second issue occours, head back and be ready for the third, if it happens it will probably will be a gem. Before this rule I had some much more exciting dives than I do now.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Whoa, that's a bunch but I'll try and please someone tell me where I go wrong

1. Keep it in my mouth, clear it in an attempt to correct the problem, get buddies attention, turn tank off then on again, abort the dive if all else fails

2. Switch to alternate, abort via cesa if air wont work

3. hold deflator button, hang on to buddy, abort dive

4. Get buddies attention, give ooa signal and get his reg, start controlled ascent

5. Manually hold mask to face, clear it, assess

6. This one is tricky, it depends on if i have any breath left and which is faster, first try to get aas, but I suppose I press the regs free flow button and hold it up to my mouth to breath manually

7. Put it back on, grab buddy to control ascent

8. Don't panic, calm down, remove knife cut myself free

9. Cuss, keep diving on one fin

10. Look for a minute iaw the dive plan, surface and deploy smb

11. Same as above

12. Put snorkel in, turn it on

13. Let buddy know, swim out of it, reassess

14. Use other instruments, forget computer, ??

15. I don't know for sure but I would do a series of stops at ascending depths prior to safety stop

16. Fin my way to surface, if too negative, dump eights, of course always let buddy know

17. ??? Never dive dry

18. Tough, I might try to get to an alternate exit point with fewer rocks, go as far as I can subsurface

19. Try not to turn my back to them and get big and defensive in an attempt to deter them, make my way out of the water

20. If he tries, leave it be, if he does, assess the damage and get out of his ao

21. Stop, think, look at gauges to reassure myself, surface in control

22. Let buddy know and thumb dive

23. Don't panic, if necessary, remove bc and free myself, bang tank to alert others of my problem

24. Inflate bc, deploy smb, wait, if within a couple miles, start finning for shore

25. Don't panic, ascend, reassess, at least that's the idea

Well you tried .. there are way too many topics for one thread, but you did mess up big time on three of them, that I saw when scanning.. the first one shows that your OW training was really bad (or you forgot it)....

Inflator sticks.... press purge and or vent and disconnect inflator hose... this is a VERY common failure! You need to practice this and then do oral inflat..

Mouth piece falls off and you are having trouble...you do not signal to your buddy and try to get any help from him... you switch to your octopus and THEN communicate with your buddy..

If you are stuck and wedged under a ledge... it is 99.9% sure that you will not have room to remove bc/tank.... You have to push forward, grab the waist strap, do a pelvic thrust and then exhale and wiggle your butt and tank side to side and try to slip backwards... The last one is my own method...

If computer fails... well it depends on depth and time etc. Take a look at your buddy's computer and most people would abort the dive in a controlled manner....

My buddy and I used this decision tree yesterday. Tank to yoke o-ring developed and slow leak half way thru the dive. We ended the dive right away. Saw this video of an o-ring replacement underwater, definantely out of my skill range and not something that I'd consider practicing. Is this an advanced skill that is taught in a certification?

changing O-ring 80 feet deep Holguin Cuba - YouTube

Doesn't sound particularly healthy for your reg, especially in saltwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom