When to buy tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought 2 tanks this year after renting for the last 2 and yes they are worth it. One trip to the dive shop instead of 2. I can go whenever I want without having to worry about the LDS business hours. I also am trying to dive as much as possible this year which will make the savings add up.

Strictly convienence. Instead of a mandatory trip before and after the dive outing, I make only 1 trip to the LDS for fills during the week when I want to and also have time to chat with the owner and/or run and do some other business. My time and the cost of driving are a factor. Plus the ability to toss all my gear in the car had head out diving on 10 minutes notice when a good weekend without other commitments (or canceled commitments) shows up.

I currently keep 6 AL80 for 3 divers in the family. Not the best tank, but cheap and it matches what I rent when traveling.

To answer the first questions--yes, it is worth it to have your own tanks. I have never regretted buying my tanks. Since I bought my own tanks, I dive more often than before I had my own tanks. There are some instances where having your own tanks is much better than renting:

If you're interested in going after bugs during mini season in Florida, having your own tanks is a must. Rentals are often sold out for mini season.

I get my tank filled right after diving and have them ready to go for whenever I have a chance to go diving. It is especially convenient when I do a mid-week night dive. I don't have to use my lunch hour the next day to return the rental tanks.

Having your own tanks also allows you to get the best tanks for you, whether it be smaller tanks if you're a smaller person, or larger tanks if you need more air.

Also, you can get tanks with the buoyancy characteristics that fit your needs.

Bottom line--if you have your own tanks, you will dive more.

Ron

Having your own tanks is the best way to go. Cost effective NO! Dive efficient YES!

For a regular sized male nothing smaller than a HP100 and steel all the way. Aluminum works great for stage bottles. Two tanks should get you by...for now.

Oh and diving Nitrox is very nice, and easy to get in Monterey.

Very true!

However, cost effectiveness isn't hard to achieve if one buys used tanks, since the resale value is usually very stable.

Also, fill costs can be quite low with club memberships or other promotions. I'm paying $3.50 for each fill (HP120), the half-price benefit of club membership at my LDS.

Good point about larger tanks. Having more time in the water is very important to me, since my logistics are substantial. I hate the thought of getting only a couple hours in the water for 8 hours of logistics.... :D

That brings up the advantage of having a third tank for a three-tank day..... or a fourth tank to allow consecutive two-tank days.... Heck, I used to have 12 tanks to allow for diving camping trips out of the range of fill stations.... (I'm down to just 6 tanks now, since I'm not doing those trips anymore. :shakehead:)

Then there's the drysuit to get even more time in the water.... :shocked2:

In terms of cost per hour in the water, they were all worth it to me! :)

Dave C

Last edited:
I live 2.5 to 3 hours away from decent diving.
The shops here all seem to have steel 80s and a random 100 at times.

I bought steel 100s and talked one of my regular dive buddy into getting these also :)
So our dives are about 20% longer then we would have with rental tanks.

Plus I never have to be the one to call a dive on air when I dive with an 80 and I like how the 100s trim me out.

Its a win all around :)
The market for used tanks seems strong so I am sure if I wanted to sell them or had to sell them I could get some good resale out of them -- unlike a lot of other scuba gear.

Tanks are also not just for for diving. Get an air hose fitting so you can fill car, trailer or bike tires- don't forget filling a matress or rafts, floats ....etc.

Also get a spray nozzle and you have compressed air to clean parts, filters, list goes on.....

Our LDS has fitted out a buddy so he can use an assortment of pneumatic tools for small jobs without the need for a compressor.

Two significant considerations ...

1. How often do I dive?
2. How long have I been diving?

The answer to the first will help you determine whether or not it's cost-effective. If you plan to dive on a regular (a few times a month, at least) basis, then purchasing tanks is a good idea ... not only from a convenience standpoint but also in the long run it'll cost you less money.

The answer to the second will help you determine what size tanks you want to buy. New divers tend to base their purchases either on how quickly they go through their air, or on the typical profiles of the dives they do. Both of those tend to change rather rapidly for the developing diver. In order to make an informed choice of what tanks are right for you, it's best to get some dives under your weightbelt and let both of those variables settle out a bit first.

Also keep in mind that once you own tanks you will have to store them and maintain them.

And tanks are more like rabbits than potato chips ... you'll start with two, and rather quickly end up with 10 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bottom line--if you have your own tanks, you will dive more.

Ron

BINGO!

I don't regret buying my own cylinders at all...but I wish I had the foresight to go straight to steel. I own two HP100s, two AL80s and one AL19. They all stay charged up and ready to go. However my Al80s hardly ever leave the garage any more...I have plans for them though.:D

It was very economical option for me. After diving 4 month I would spend more money on renting them that I have spent buying my 2 HP100 in the beginning. Last week I have bought one more tank Al80 after I rented one 4 times as my 2 HP100 were not enough. If you take into account more trips you have to make to LDS (it's 1 hour round trip for me), the fact that you have to be back by 6pm on Saturday to return it. It all adds up pretty quickly. Al 80 are pretty cheap and I can get any profile I dive on air.

If you can afford the initial cost and you have all your gear then yes, buy them. I bought 2 AL80's about 15-20 years ago and they are still going strong. It is well worth it, cheap to keep up. The only problem is that you'll want to buy more...Like I think I need 6 more tanks and I should be set...for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom