When to do a safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assisted YMCA instructors during the early to mid-80's when I was going through the "apprentice" phase of my pre-instructor NAUI training to diversify my experience. I don't remember any set of standards or even a textbook from the Y at that time. No talk of "safety stops" at all then. We used the "Science of Scuba Diving" textbook written by an author I don't remember his name but it sounded like a "Polish name." The dive tables used were US Navy tables. NAUI didn't have its own textbook during these years IIRC. To be honest, my memory is hazy about what happened when exactly, it has only been almost forty years now :hourglass:

I think instructors having command over their own courses was once pretty much the way it was for many agencies.

I did read Al Tillman's history of NAUI and know that they did not have a true central curriculum either. Over the years there have been many threads about how great it was that NAUI instructors could pretty much design their own courses.

When I became a TDI student, the instructor said we would not follow the TDI standards, and we never knew what standards we were following. We just did what the instructor said to do when we were in the water. Eventually I got a bit ticked off and wrote a detailed description of what we were doing to TDI headquarters, and they replied that it sounded like we were getting a very thorough course, and it was all OK with them. When I became a TDI instructor and saw the actual course standards, I saw that the TDI courses I had taken had very little in common with the TDI standards, but that was OK with TDI, as long as they felt the course we did take covered the TDI content somewhere.

I once had a long discussion with a SSI Course Director as we headed out on a boat to a dive site. He was doing final training dives for a new SSI instructor he was certifying. He was peeved that this would be the last instructor he would be allowed to certify on his own; from then on, his instructor candidates would have to be reviewed by an independent instructor examiner. He liked things they way they were, because he could taylor the course to the student. If (as in the current case), the instructor candidate just wanted to teach in a tropical resort, then he could skip all the stuff that wasn't related to that. Now with independent examiners, he was going to have to teach the whole damn course.

So, I've seen blanket statements that you should always do a safety stop. However, this can't really be the case. If I'm diving in 10-12' of water, surely I don't descend to 15', wait 3 mins and then ascend.

I feel sure that at 60' I would do a safety stop, but what about less than 33'? And even in-between; would you do a safety stop at 40'?

I want to be safe but also not ridiculous. Thanks for your help
Dive computers will tell you to stop at 20-15 feet for 3 to 5 minutes. Generally after 30 feet it is recommended to do a safety stop. In case of an emergency, ignore the safety stop and do a controlled, slow ascent (if you did not go deeper than 60 feet). After 60 feet, it is strongly recommended to do a safety stop at 30 feet for 5 minutes. If you stayed down long enough past 60 feet, your dive computer might make you undergo a decompression.

After 60 feet, you are required to do a safety stop at 30 then 15 feet.

i am curious where you got this information. or are you saying that your particular computer is set that way ?

i am curious where you got this information. or are you saying that your particular computer is set that way ?
That's weird. I corrected my post earlier. I guess the changes didnt save.

I changed it again... I mean, my dive computer is set to tell me to do the safety stops... because you know, better safe than sorry.

Dive computers will tell you to stop at 15 feet for 3 to 5 minutes. Generally after 30 feet is is recommended to do a safety stop. In case of an emergency, ignore the safety stop and do a controlled, slow ascent. After 60 feet, you are required to do a safety stop at 30 then 15 feet. If you stayed down long enough, your dive computer might make you do a decompression.
Umm. No, not really.

First, a safety stop is optional. I know of no dive computers that will lockout for skipping a safety stop. Plenty of DCs will lockout for skipping a decompression stop. A decompression stop is required a safety stop is recommended.

Second, a safety stop is a single stop usually around 15 fsw. The stop you mentioned at 30 feet sounds like a deep stop. That is an optional additional stop that can be enabled on some dive computers. Several years ago, the deep stop was recommended by many, but has largely fallen out of favor more recently. My Oceanic VT4.1 had a deep stop option, which I had set to off. My Shearwater Perdix doesn’t have a deep stop. There is a lot of information, and opinions, out there regarding the usefulness of deep stops. Worth looking into if you want to know if you should do a deep stop or not.

Umm. No, not really.

First, a safety stop is optional. I know of no dive computers that will lockout for skipping a safety stop. Plenty of DCs will lockout for skipping a decompression stop. A decompression stop is required a safety stop is recommended.

Second, a safety stop is a single stop usually around 15 fsw. The stop you mentioned at 30 feet sounds like a deep stop. That is an optional additional stop that can be enabled on some dive computers. Several years ago, the deep stop was recommended by many, but has largely fallen out of favor more recently. My Oceanic VT4.1 had a deep stop option, which I had set to off. My Shearwater Perdix doesn’t have a deep stop. There is a lot of information, and opinions, out there regarding the usefulness of deep stops. Worth looking into if you want to know if you should do a deep stop or not.
I realized I did not phrase myself correctly, so I edited my post earlier... idk why it did not save the first time so I edited it again... My dive computer doesn't lock out I did not say that. Safety stops are recommended... I said that too.

I realized I did not phrase myself correctly, so I edited my post earlier... idk why it did not save the first time so I edited it again... My dive computer doesn't lock out I did not say that. Safety stops are recommended... I said that too.
Gotcha. You may have been editing while I was posting.

I still see the stop at 30 feet in your post. That does not sound like a safety stop, but more like a deep stop. Usually the target depth is around 15 feet, though the acceptable range usually runs between 20 ft to 10 ft, but can vary between computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom