When to do a safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please check your background data before posting something that may not be correct and may be misleading

I do not know this topic as well as @boulderjohn but have read extensively on the issue. I have never read anything similar to your posts. Perhaps you are thinking about the 2004 article by Marroni and colleagues published in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine. This is the most commonly cited study to support deep stops in no stop diving, along with a followup study from 2007 by Bennett and collaborators in the same journal. This work was executed by DAN Europe.
I think that was the study. I remember it was done in Europe. But the information in my first comment is correct though. If you stayed past 60 feet or at that level for long enough, it is strongly recommended to do a deep stop, but mark my words, not forced/or necessary. Read my first comment, "Dive computers will tell you to stop at 20-15 feet for 3 to 5 minutes. Generally after 30 feet it is recommended to do a safety stop. In case of an emergency, ignore the safety stop and do a controlled, slow ascent (if you did not go deeper than 60 feet). After 60 feet, it is strongly recommended to do a safety stop at 30 feet for 5 minutes. If you stayed down long enough past 60 feet, your dive computer might make you undergo a decompression." Also I am not knowledgeable about the studies, so I said that "I'm probably wrong" in later comments. When I did my OW license I was taught to do a safety stop, and my DC is set to remind me of it. But obviously, if there is an emergency I will skip a deep stop and a safety stop and do a controlled ascent.

I think that was the study. I remember it was done in Europe. But the information in my first comment is correct though. If you stayed past 60 feet or at that level for long enough, it is strongly recommended to do a deep stop, but mark my words, not forced/or necessary. Read my first comment, "Dive computers will tell you to stop at 20-15 feet for 3 to 5 minutes. Generally after 30 feet it is recommended to do a safety stop. In case of an emergency, ignore the safety stop and do a controlled, slow ascent (if you did not go deeper than 60 feet). After 60 feet, it is strongly recommended to do a safety stop at 30 feet for 5 minutes. If you stayed down long enough past 60 feet, your dive computer might make you undergo a decompression." Also I am not knowledgeable about the studies, so I said that "I'm probably wrong" in later comments. When I did my OW license I was taught to do a safety stop, and my DC is set to remind me of it. But obviously, if there is an emergency I will skip a deep stop and a safety stop and do a controlled ascent.
Hi @Scuba_Nick27

I appreciate your enthusiasm, however, your information is inaccurate. I suggest reading the two articles to correct the deficiency

I was also certified at 15, but have almost 50 years on you, time may give you perspective

Best of luck with your diving, where are you in Florida?

Hi @Scuba_Nick27

I appreciate your enthusiasm, however, your information is inaccurate. I suggest reading the two articles to correct the deficiency

I was also certified at 15, but have almost 50 years on you, time may give you perspective

Best of luck with your diving, where are you in Florida?
Gotcha. Im not offended or anything. I will read the articles. Im based in Venice, FL

This is the most commonly cited study to support deep stops in no stop diving, along with a followup study from 2007 by Bennett and collaborators in the same journal. This work was executed by DAN Europe.
Neither study is held in high regard by most people other than DAN Europe, which for some reason seems to view them as Biblical.

I published an article on deep stops on decompression dives last year--quick summary, current research does not support them. After that, I intended to do a similar article on deep stops in recreational diving, but I gave up. There is not good research one way or the other. I think my main conclusion was that, despite the "all dives are decompression dives" mantra, there really is a difference between dives with mandatory decompression stops and dives with no mandatory decompression stops, with a gray area spanning the end of one range and the beginning of the other.

I would certainly not tell anyone that they should do a deep stop on a NDL dive, but neither would I warn against it.

Personally I do a safety stop on every dive. If it is so shallow (say less than 8 m), then the ascent is the stop. If deeper than that, I will stop for at least three minutes and normally five minutes. Stop is at five metres. Tomorrow doing a dive which will probably be maximum of about 15 metres. Bottom time will be 75 minutes or more. The route back to shore will give a safety stop of five minutes, but even if it did not, I would stop for five minutes. All my buddies do the same. Unless you are hassled by a shark, do the stop!

Fortunately due to our submarine topography off Catalina, I don't do square profile dives at most sites. I descend to depth and slowly ascend along the bottom into shallower waters in a multi-level dive. I spend much of the dive in "safety stop" depths toward the end. If I'm doing a dive more like a square profile (say at Farnsworth Banks), I do multi-level stops along with a standard safety stop (but usually longer than 3 min).

I like to do my safety stop as I descend. I mean, I'm already at 15' so I may as well get it out of the way. Then I can spend the rest of the dive not having to worry about it.

I'm kidding.

I like to do my safety stop as I descend. I mean, I'm already at 15' so I may as well get it out of the way. Then I can spend the rest of the dive not having to worry about it.

I'm kidding.
Good thing you added the "I'm kidding" You really had me in the first half lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom