When to start tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I've heard (I'm just starting this process as well as a DM with ~500 dives) - tech diving instructors can take you out for a day and teach you certain aspects of diving. For example, my instructor is perfectly willing to go out to a quarry with me and teach me how to dive doubles, not under any agency, but just how to dive them in general. That way, when I hit tech, I can be proficient in using them. Perhaps this is the route you should go... Generally you have to pay an instructor for this, but this way you can be used to doubles before having to do more intense dives in them...

I think you should expand your diving into cave,wreck,deco, etc. when you have "seen it all" and/or are bored with your current dives. That's the time to get instruction and tackle more advanced diving.

With only 65 dives, I think you should continue to dive at your current training level awhile longer. In the meantime, take a GUE DIRF class, NAUI intro to tech or something similar. Those skills can be used everyday on recreational dives.

rjack321:

With only 65 dives, I think you should continue to dive at your current training level awhile longer. In the meantime, take a GUE DIRF class, NAUI intro to tech or something similar. Those skills can be used everyday on recreational dives.

I would suggest that something like Fundies is also a great guide as to how ready you are to pursuing tech. It can provide an eye opener of just how high the bar really is, which perhaps is one of the greatest benefits.

Not that I'd know anything about that :eyebrow:

I just started taking Tech classes from my LDS. The are a SSI school, and they have a full tech program. It's called Technical Extended Range, and it seems to cover everything. It's a bit spendy, but how much is your life worth???..

I'm very excited about the program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom