When you book a reservation.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a physician, I charge for no show. I don't make them pay for it... like most of my colleages do. If they want to come back and see me, they'll have to pay. We post it clearly in our office, and we tell them on the phone when they first make an appointment.

If you have not clearly advised them of this when they made the reservation, technically, you can not charge them for it. As wrong as it seems.

SkullDeformity:
Harry, you act as if dive operators have control over the weather. If people miss a ferry it was probably because they were dinking around instead of getting to where they needed to go. It's not the operators responibility to get you to the boat.
Not only did they "miss" the ferry, twice, they did not bother to call for two hours after that to tell us after we had said no to other divers that wanted to go. Hope my divers show today.:shakehead

I've never heard of a dive operation that charges you if THEY cancel. Everyone I've ever booked with have clearly stated cancellation policies. If it's your fault, they have the right to charge you. If it's their fault, they don't charge you.

Divers who understand the sport and industry get to the dive destination on time. If you snooze you lose. Period. Divers who understand some of the limitions of the sport, like weather, and other no show-ers, understand why dive operators sometimes have to cancel. I am a busy professional and time poor - but a serious recreational diver. If I have a problem getting to my chosen dive centre/location, I always let the operator know. It is simply good manners apart from anything else.

I'd have charged her for both days too.

Basically here your booking is not confirmed until you receive a deposit. If you dont show you dont get the deposit back. Decent operators if there are sound reasons will reimburse or reschedule but for clear time wasters as it seems in the original case its kept.

Dont think you were out of line at all.

The "customer" was entirely in the wrong. "they missed the ferry" means they chose not to make the required effort to get there on time. Calling when they were already 2 hours late was adding insult to injury. Did she think the operator didn't notice they weren't there? She should consider herself luck she didn't get charged for 2 days.

Nice attitude Harry so your saying its ok to not at least give an operator a call to cancel a prebook. Sure there are circumstances when you cannot call but they are pretty rare why should someone stand around waiting for you or your group to show up when there are others to fill your spots or others waiting on you so they can depart. Its individuals like you that are the reason why operators require deposits as your time is much more valuable than theres.

Pull your head out of your:mooner:

srt1548:
Divers who understand the sport and industry get to the dive destination on time.

I think this is the problem, these people weren't divers and didn't really have any respect for the dive operation. There is no excuse for not calling. You did the right thing. People will continue to take advantage if you don't charge them a penalty.

A loss of deposit for each person each day would be well in line as there was no reasonable excuse given (like the Major road accident closing the road down, its just like the weather unforeseeable).

I have to agree with Doc Harry somewhat, I booked a spot on a boat for a fellow SB'er coming in from CA. The op had my home phone number my cell number the phone number of the LDS I booked through and the other guys cell number, we drove to the dock and waited and waited, the op did not show, after four calls he finally answered his phone only to say he had canceled,not enough divers.

On a recent trip to Yap/ Palau I became ill on the way there, I dived the first day (Sunday) in yap and did a extra dive that day. That evening my condition became worse so it was a hospital visit, no diving Mon-Thur, but I got my diving in Friday and a extra one. All the boats were full except me Mon-Thur.
When it came time to settle the bill I asked if I could have a refund for Mon - Thur "NO" I then asked if they could count the two extra dives I did as paid with the dives I could not do "NO you have to pay for them"

On to Palau Dive Sunday and Monday then had a relapse and back to hospital, no more diving on this vacation. Neco Marine told me the next day they would refund for the days I had lost and I had never asked for a refund.

If a dive op has to cancel for a broken down boat not enough divers how about some credit toward another dive...kinda like a diver losing a deposit.

To the Dr's on the board you are the worst when it comes to time keeping in your work,I can not ever remember having an appointment go on time (years).

Whenever I have an appointment I always get there early I don't want you waiting for me, but it is ALWAYS ends up the other way around up to forty minutes after the appointment time. It seems like there time is more important then the persons that are PAYING there wages, I would be quiet happy to pay for appointments not kept if they would pay me a hourly work rate for the time I have to wait beyond the agreed appointment time

awap:
depending on how much you plan to charge, I don't think you are out of line. But what is your plan for when she contests the charges with the CC company? Do you have a documented policy that supports the charges and was she advised of it? I'm not sure the "I tried to explain that was why she gave us a CC number" is going to make the case.

Yeah it will be a charge back. Maybe the owner should require people to book on-line (documented) or come into the shop the night before to "fit equipment" and handle paperwork. I called a dive op one time and thought I could book over the phone I was advised to go on-line or come in to book the reservation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom