Where can I go diving in mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jannine

Reaction score
Hi
This is my second time in Mexico, I went diving in Cozumel two years ago and loved it. I´m now looking for some new dive sites that have something different to offer. Can you help me? I have heard about diving on the San Andreas Fault, this sounds exciting but I don´t know of any web sites that can give me the info. I need. If you have dived here I would appreciate your opinions. And if you know of any great dive sites on the pacific coast, please let me know.
Thanks Jannine

Is that a new PADI Specialty? Earthquake Diving. You wait until the crack opens?? Go figure.

Seriously...

It would help if you filled out your SB profile abit, experience, certifications, what kind of diving you like, etc. etc.

It's a very broad question. Try getting on Google and putting in Mexico Diving. It's that easy. Why Mexico anyways? Are you after diving, or hot tamales?

I am looking for other spots in Mexico as well. How is Akumal compared to Cozumel as far as diving? Also would like to try a cenote dive and visit Tulum, would it be better to stay in Playa Del Carmen?

cozdiver2001:
I am looking for other spots in Mexico as well. How is Akumal compared to Cozumel as far as diving? Also would like to try a cenote dive and visit Tulum, would it be better to stay in Playa Del Carmen?

Staying in Playa is fun in the evenings. Check out Protech divers and ask for Scott or Matt for some cenote tours.

see their web site at

http://www.protecdiving.com/

Tell them Curt Bowen sent your. Either they will treat you good or hang up on you :)

cozdiver2001:

Diving in Akumal is excellent. The most you will ever be is a 15 miniute boat ride to any place on the reef. Dive packages there are about the same as Cozumel, and a Playa. The beaches are better in Akumal and the area is less "touristy". As for nightlife it depends on what you want to do at night. If you are looking for clubs and different places to eat, then stay in Playa. If your idea of night life is walking on the beach and seeing no one then head to Akumal. Playa is heading the way of Cancun & Coz. When we were there in April, they were adding a McDonalds, Dominos, and a Burger King. We head to Mexico to get away from the things at home.

Chris

Most of my Mexican diving has been in the Gulf of California ("Sea of Cortez") around the islands between Loreto and La Paz on Baja's east coast, or in the Cabo san Lucas area. It is definitely different from Cozumel. You can search out dive ops in those two cities for more info.

Dr. Bill

chrisc:
Diving in Akumal is excellent. The most you will ever be is a 15 miniute boat ride to any place on the reef. Dive packages there are about the same as Cozumel, and a Playa. The beaches are better in Akumal and the area is less "touristy". As for nightlife it depends on what you want to do at night. If you are looking for clubs and different places to eat, then stay in Playa. If your idea of night life is walking on the beach and seeing no one then head to Akumal. Playa is heading the way of Cancun & Coz. When we were there in April, they were adding a McDonalds, Dominos, and a Burger King. We head to Mexico to get away from the things at home.

Chris

I agree completely with the above. Akumal is awsome. There is great diving; both reef and cenote. Playa is nice, but rowdy and turisty, and Akumal is quiet and relaxed. I stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort last year. It was great. Very laid back. The beach is the best in the area with plenty of soft white sand. The hotel is a solid 3 to 4 star hotel. The staff is helpful and the food very good. One nice thing about this particular resort is the layout. It is small (250+ rooms) and runs along the beach, instead of back in the jungle. This means that every room is ocean view. Also, the town of Akumal is a short 5 min walk down the beach. It is not turisty at all, but is a great place to check out. If you need money the Super Chomak (small grocery store) has an ATM machine too.

The resort isn't a "Dive" resort, but they do have a dive shop. The shop is more than adequate and the staff friendly; in particular Sasha. You can organize a dive through them at a much better rate than else where. Xel-Ha, Cozumel, Yal-Ku Lagoon, cenotes, etc. The reef right in front of hotel is excellent too, and they will take you out on a boat right there or you can just fill up your tanks and just walk in from the beach.

Try the new area opening up further south of Tulum. It is called Costa Maya and has a few dive centres in the area. A little bit like Playa and Cozumel were 20 years ago. Search the net and you will be surprised.

Crocodile Douglas at your service.

cozdiver2001:

As far as cenotes go, some cenotes dive operators offer an open water incitement in or cavern (close to the cenote entrance). Some operators may cater to those that are open water divers. Here in Mexico you can get almost anything for a little money. If you are not experienced diving in an enclosed cave type environment it may not be for you. Remember in this situation your life 100% reliant on your equipment. The worst time to realize you don’t want to cave dive is after you are already inside. Last year’s paper (Por Esto) had the photos of the two American cave diving instructors from Florida that died in a cenote dive south of Cancun. Just be sure you check out everything before you go.
Take Care,
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom