where can I rent tanks without hassle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to GC Sept 10-17 with a group of 18 (13 divers). I will be diving with random partners and we want to be able to split up and save time - one makes the lunches and the other goes for the tanks. Is there anyplace to rent tanks where they aren't going to give you grief if both buddies aren't there to rent the tanks? Is that even possible? I'm almost beginning to regret signing up for this trip. Vastly different (obsessive, compulsive scuba police) from what I'm used to elsewhere (Bonaire, Dominica, Bahamas, Keys, etc.).

I can't speak to the buddy issue since mine was usually nearby but about the only places to rent tanks that you can remove from the property are Eden Rock Dive downtown or Diver's Supply in West Bay. I would say if you both went in and registered, you shouldn't have any problem exchanging tanks later.

If you're going to dive any of the better known shore dives - Turtle Reef, Eden Rock/Devils Grotto, Sunset House, Cobalt Coast/Lighthouse Point (Divetech) - they're all owned to the waterline by the on-site resort/operator so they require you to rent from them - which in most cases is more convenient anyway. Divetech and Sunset House have a no-removal from their property policy on tanks. I'm almost positive Sun Divers at Turtle Reef does also. It's IMO the best shore dive on the West Side - Eden Rock/Devils Grotto suffers from decades of cruise divers - the port is about 100 yds. away.

Outside of them where do you plan to dive? Access is an issue along much of the north side, there's boat traffic to be crossed at some of them or no access. (private condo properties). If you feel like driving all the way around the island - plan on an hour from Seven Mile Beach - Babylon is one of the best. Smith's Cove is a shallow dive just south of Sunset House. Cemetery Beach is a better snorkel.

It's not Bonaire but it's not bad. The reefs are at least as nice and there's more big stuff. Plus the walls are a lot deeper and more dramatic. At one site we could barely see sharks feeding down the wall - the DM estimated it was 300' below us.

They're expensive but IMO you see the best of Cayman by boat diving. One of those is Ghost Mountain. Some of the shops also dive Babylon by boat - Ocean Frontiers on the East End does.

Last edited:
Divers World 345 949 8128 rents tanks to go. If you all go in the first time with your cards you should be set. Contact them and ask in advance.

It's good to know they're ^ still there. Somebody posted they'd closed so I don't mention them any longer.

We went there in 2003 since we stayed at TI condos just north of there. Lots of stuff in that shop.

It would be much more convenient than fighting traffic downtown to get to Eden Rock.

Ocean Frontiers on the East End rents tanks that can be taken off site. I have not done it but checked with them earlier this year and they confirmed that they do. Check with them directly to confirm. Their policy is on their website and I believe it is subject to availability.

Diversteve had this right. Most of the shore operators rent tanks and have exclusive use policies. The only other site I'd think about shore diving is Babylon, if the conditions are good.
There is some very decent shore diving on GC at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse, Cobalt Coast and Sunset house, but the dramatic wall sites are almost all limited to going by boat, except for Babylon.

With 13 divers, you should also look into boat charters.

Diversteve had this right. Most of the shore operators rent tanks and have exclusive use policies. The only other site I'd think about shore diving is Babylon, if the conditions are good.
There is some very decent shore diving on GC at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse, Cobalt Coast and Sunset house, but the dramatic wall sites are almost all limited to going by boat, except for Babylon.

With 13 divers, you should also look into boat charters.

Although I disagree with Doctorfish on this, I also agree with him. There are other places to shore dive, but with a large group, you're best off chartering a boat. Epic Divers does an amazing job with private charters. Unfortunately, the policy on rental tanks island-wide is simple: 1 diver, 1 tank...period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom