Where can I snorkel in Oklahoma City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waverider58

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie here. I will be in Oklahoma City for about a week in mid-April. I was just wondering if there were any good places that permit snorkeling close by the city. I get done with work about 4:30 p.m. each day. So, I'll be limited in how far I can drive and how long I can stay.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've got a couple of different wetsuits. Nevertheless, some information about water temperature this time of year would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

...you're kidding, right? If you were asking about meth labs or junkyards I'd take you seriously, but snorkeling in OKC?
(please forgive my sarcasm, I'm in desperate need of a margarita).

...you're kidding, right? If you were asking about meth labs or junkyards I'd take you seriously, but snorkeling in OKC?
(please forgive my sarcasm, I'm in desperate need of a margarita).
I’ve been in Oklahoma City several times in the past several years for work. There are more than a few lakes around there. And from what I’ve seen on the internet; a few diveshops located near there as well.

So, no, I’m not kidding. I live in Ohio and we have more than a few quarries to snorkel and/or dive in.

It surprised me when I first got back into snorkeling and developing an interest in getting a scuba certification how many dive shops and places to dive are in Ohio.

So, I didn’t think it too much to ask about snorkeling opportunities in Oklahoma City.

Your sarcasm is forgiven. Are you any smarter after a margarita?

You have to forgive CB. We are both from Texas. The only reason Texas doesn't fall into the gulf is because Oklahoma sucks.

One thing I would expect is some pretty cold water that time of year. 6 hours drive time south the lakes will still be in the 60's.

The only reason Texas doesn't fall into the gulf is because Oklahoma sucks.

haha. here in OK we flush twice because Texas needs the water.

and no there are no snorkeling spots in OKC that I am aware of closest would be Lake Murray and that's iffy.

I’ve been in Oklahoma City several times in the past several years for work. There are more than a few lakes around there. And from what I’ve seen on the internet; a few diveshops located near there as well.

So, no, I’m not kidding. I live in Ohio and we have more than a few quarries to snorkel and/or dive in.

It surprised me when I first got back into snorkeling and developing an interest in getting a scuba certification how many dive shops and places to dive are in Ohio.

So, I didn’t think it too much to ask about snorkeling opportunities in Oklahoma City.

Your sarcasm is forgiven. Are you any smarter after a margarita?

Nope, I checked with my wife and she says I'm still dumber than a bag of hair...which is still smarter than an Okie. :wink:

If you want to snorkel for the sake of snorkeling then go for it, but I doubt you'll be pleased with the results. Most of the lakes in this part of the country aren't known for their viz. Carry an open pack of Oscar Mayer weenies in your pocket and you might see a some fish activity up close and personal...but thats probably the only way. There is some great fishing in Oklahoma though. Grab a pole and a cooler of Shiner Bock (Texas' gift to the world) and enjoy the water topside. Better yet, grab your hiking shoes and drive east to Robber's Cave State Park, you won't be disappointed.

All kidding aside, we Texans tease our Okie friends because, well...Oklahoma sucks. Okies have to put up with blistering heat, ice storms, hail the size of basketballs, droughts, wildfires, and a public school system thats only slightly better than the one in Bangladesh. Truth be told told though, you won't find better folks anywhere...but their snorkeling opportunities are slim to none.

Lake Elmer Thomas located near Lawton in our opinion would be your best bet for snorkeling. The dive site is located on the back side of a dam so swimming or diving down it is a cool experience. The water this time of year (providing it doesn't rain the day before) is very clear due to water temp being a little too cold for much algae to grow. Divers frequent this area for training and leisure so the fish are very friendly and can be seen in the shallows along the shores in as little as 5 feet of water. Fishermen also frequent the area, so make sure you have something to cut fishing line in case you get tangled. If your cold natured, a 7mil wetsuit with hood, gloves, and boots are what you will need to wear. We hope this information was helpful and have a great time snorkeling!

Back
Top Bottom