• <5 ft

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • <2 ft

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • When you go by feel rather than by sight

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in Wisconsin and 3 - 8 ft is decent viz , when you cant read your gauges it is time to get out. If we have 25 ft viz , we are not in WI anymore.

way, yes we do dive in 2 foot vis (following familiar contours and jetty fingers, and using our compasses extensively), and we pick up delicious dungeness crabs to eat!

where can I get one of those crab locating compasses?:mooner::

As has been mentioned, it all depends on where you are and what you are used to. Around here, it is quite common in some dive sites to have 20+ feet visibility and I have seen those very sites with < 3' . However, a site I have dove in the Caribbean such as Bonaire, 25' vis would be classified as bad. Every dive is a good dive to do something or practice something.

I dove on Cape Cod on Sunday. I could see about 20 feet and it felt like good viz.
Anything under 60 in the Caymans or in the Coral Sea would be poor viz.
It's all about expectations.

Where does poor viz start?

With PADI divers on their knees in the mud, of course... :rofl3:

The viz is disappointing to me when it's down to 10 feet or so. If it's bad enough that I can't get far enough away from my buddy to frog kick without hitting him, then I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. I have started a couple of dives where my face had to be about 18 inches off the bottom to see the bottom, and then I turn around and go out to lunch instead.

20 feet is nice viz. You can dive as a team with a little space between you, there is usually some ambient light, and you can see things coming before you swim into them.

Wow... you mean all y'all can actually see when you dive? :p

Poor viz starts at about 9:00 am, thats when the students usually get started :D

At the quarry <2 feet is pretty bad (well 2 ft to diving in a glass of milk)

In the Keys, <20 and I'll complain! although, I did a great dive on Flagler's Barge in 2007 that was MAYBE about 15 feet.

Back
Top Bottom