Where & how to dive with Scouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ps56k

Registered
Reaction score
We have a group of older scouts going for their OW cert.

They are basically learning to help with a special org called DiveHeart
that helps physically challenged people explore the fun of scuba.
http://www.diveheart.org

So - we are in the Chicago area - heck it snowed today !!
There are a few lakes and quarry locations, but they are cold until August,
and not quite the same as the clear waters off the southern coast.
Also - it's hard to pony up the $$$ for a trip to Florida or more south.

We'll see how things progress, but it's different when you see all the pretty photos
in the magazines, and yet your local locations only offer the murky waters.

Pretty sure BSA will never go for that. They are pretty clear about their diving activities. Minimum 14 years of age and a DM or higher always present with direct supervision in all BSA activities.
Before your scouts get in the water with DiveHeart, make sure its approved by BSA for liability reasons.
Is Jim Eliot a part of this? if so I have a place in Tampa area, and they can get their OW dives in Rainbow River. Have Jim PM me and we can work something out.
BTW my son belongs to #101

It seems like we get a group of Scouts every other year or so. The last bunch was a pleasure to work with. They did thier homework, were eager in class, and breazed through their checkout dives! The day I helped with checkouts was at a quarry. Cold below the thermocline, but they were warm when shallow, and on the surface interval.

I really enjoyed working with them!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom