The future of dive travel vs local diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
With the world moving away from fossil fuels, what do you think the future of quick and easy worldwide plane travel will look like in the next 5 or 10 or even 20 years?
I have no statistics to back up this claim, but I think the majority of divers world wide fly somewhere warm to go diving.
The rest of us stay home and dive locally, at least those of us that have a body of water available.
A lot of times this means cold water and not very attractive to an lot of people who don’t like cold.

I don’t know what the future looks like for certain, I don’t think many people do, but I can use my imagination.
In a fossil fuel free world I see the use of electric more and more for certain things, cars, trains, trucks, etc. but what about planes? Is there a future for effective and efficient electric plane travel? I’m not so sure. Weight is a major concern as well as speed and range.
Is there such a thing as hydrogen powered jet engines?
Conventional plane travel uses an immense amount of jet fuel. A 747 flying 10 hours uses approximately 33 thousand gallons of fuel. Granted, a lot of that is used for takeoff, but still it’s huge. As we move forward I can’t see how this is sustainable in the least bit when you combine all the flights world wide every day. It boggles the mind. That doesn’t even include everything else that uses petroleum based fuels every day world wide!
I know that we can’t stay on this path.

I see high tech sail power and electric for passenger ship lines being more probable. Large sail ships that have computer controlled sails that are lightweight, fast, and ultra efficient. Yes, it would delay travel by days or weeks, but it would be cool to cross an ocean on a sail ship. I could see it as being a highlight of any overseas vacation. You would just need more time off that’s all.
There was a ship I heard about that was built to be a completely self sustaining vessel. This ship wasn’t small either.
They sailed around the world and when they came into their final port they actually had more fuel than when they left. The ship was sail powered, electric powered, and diesel powered. The sails were used most of the time which drove the prop which generated electricity, combined with air props that used wind for energy. The ship left with batteries not quite fully charged and they never used the diesel motors once. When they arrived to their final port the batteries were fully charged so that’s how they determined they came in with more fuel than when they left.

What about nuclear powered passenger liners to cross the seas? I suppose the anti nuclear people would have something to say about that plus the possibility of getting one hijacked by a hostile party to obtain the nuclear material and to cause a terrorist act.

What about shifting the focus on diving to include more domestic diving rather than always needing to fly somewhere?
Would you as a warm water diver ever consider staying within the continental US to dive either on the West Coast, Great Lakes, or Eastern Seaboard including Florida? And all the other lakes, springs, and quarries in between?

Somehow I can’t help but think that some of the decline in diving is directly related to how the quality of air travel has eroded in the last several years, and also political turmoil in certain parts of the world.
I would hope that during some of the big changes possibly happening that diving can somehow survive. Even though logistics to some of peoples’ favorite diving locations globally may become more challenging.

Do you love diving enough to consider going to alternative locations that are not warm and tropical if far flung locations became too expensive, too time consuming, impractical, or non existent?

I know this is long and rambley and reads more like an essay, and maybe I think too much, but I have a tendency to look forward.
Let’s discuss.

With the world moving away from fossil fuels, what do you think the future of quick and easy worldwide plane travel will look like in the next 5 or 10 or even 20 years?
I have no statistics to back up this claim, but I think the majority of divers world wide fly somewhere warm to go diving.
The rest of us stay home and dive locally, at least those of us that have a body of water available.
A lot of times this means cold water and not very attractive to an lot of people who don’t like cold.

I don’t know what the future looks like for certain, I don’t think many people do, but I can use my imagination.
In a fossil fuel free world I see the use of electric more and more for certain things, cars, trains, trucks, etc. but what about planes? Is there a future for effective and efficient electric plane travel? I’m not so sure. Weight is a major concern as well as speed and range.
Is there such a thing as hydrogen powered jet engines?
Conventional plane travel uses an immense amount of jet fuel. A 747 flying 10 hours uses approximately 33 thousand gallons of fuel. Granted, a lot of that is used for takeoff, but still it’s huge. As we move forward I can’t see how this is sustainable in the least bit when you combine all the flights world wide every day. It boggles the mind. That doesn’t even include everything else that uses petroleum based fuels every day world wide!
I know that we can’t stay on this path.

I see high tech sail power and electric for passenger ship lines being more probable. Large sail ships that have computer controlled sails that are lightweight, fast, and ultra efficient. Yes, it would delay travel by days or weeks, but it would be cool to cross an ocean on a sail ship. I could see it as being a highlight of any overseas vacation. You would just need more time off that’s all.
There was a ship I heard about that was built to be a completely self sustaining vessel. This ship wasn’t small either.
They sailed around the world and when they came into their final port they actually had more fuel than when they left. The ship was sail powered, electric powered, and diesel powered. The sails were used most of the time which drove the prop which generated electricity, combined with air props that used wind for energy. The ship left with batteries not quite fully charged and they never used the diesel motors once. When they arrived to their final port the batteries were fully charged so that’s how they determined they came in with more fuel than when they left.

What about nuclear powered passenger liners to cross the seas? I suppose the anti nuclear people would have something to say about that plus the possibility of getting one hijacked by a hostile party to obtain the nuclear material and to cause a terrorist act.

What about shifting the focus on diving to include more domestic diving rather than always needing to fly somewhere?
Would you as a warm water diver ever consider staying within the continental US to dive either on the West Coast, Great Lakes, or Eastern Seaboard including Florida? And all the other lakes, springs, and quarries in between?

Somehow I can’t help but think that some of the decline in diving is directly related to how the quality of air travel has eroded in the last several years, and also political turmoil in certain parts of the world.
I would hope that during some of the big changes possibly happening that diving can somehow survive. Even though logistics to some of peoples’ favorite diving locations globally may become more challenging.

Do you love diving enough to consider going to alternative locations that are not warm and tropical if far flung locations became too expensive, too time consuming, impractical, or non existent?

I know this is long and rambley and reads more like an essay, and maybe I think too much, but I have a tendency to look forward.
Let’s discuss.

I work in the mining industry and alot of people don't realize EVERTHING we have was mined or grown. Literally everything. Think about that and just look around your room right now. Everything, your computer and monitor your looking at was mined, your desk was grown, your sheetrock walls and roof over your head was mined, your iphone your texting on was mined, the car you drive around and the road, all mined everything...

It the grand scheme of things jet fuel consumption is basically a fart in the wind compared to the fossil fuels consumed by countries just for electricity.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) Direct from the EIA government website.

"In 2022, about 4,231 billion kilowatthours (kWh) (or about 4.23 trillion kWh) of electricity were generated at utility-scale electricity generation facilities in the United States. About 60% of this electricity generation was from fossil fuels"

In the US alone 2.539 trillion kWh of electricity were generated from fossil fuels!!!! that is sooooo much energy. Now imagine what countries like India and China burn through

So like I said be for the think jet fuel consumption is the least of our worries.

Plus as we sit here on our computers were just contributing to the problem. Don't for get everything is grow or mined.

Jet powered airliners will be around for decades to come. Other options are just not to be as cost effective. Maybe after decades of development, but not anything in a lifetime.
I wonder about cost?
Will they tax them progressively more and more until it gets prohibitively expensive to fly?

I don't see any realistic replacement for fossil fuels with respect to aircraft, we will never see nuclear/wind/solar/battery powered commercial aircraft, although we do have bio-fuels available, which still generate carbon anyway. Some predict we will convert to a social score/carbon footprint allocation/CBDC situation where a person's carbon footprint will be measured/rationed which would definitely impact travel. That being said, the VAST majority of the world is not controlled/captured by the 'Woke West/Green New Deal' mind virus so only the USA/Canada/Western Europe are under it's control. There are quite a few major powers/countries heavily reliant on fossil fuel exports (Russia/all the OPEC countries/Brazil) and the big importers (like China/India) that at best pay lip service to the Green New Deal but it's really just a western fad.

Airbus is already working on Hybrid & electric commercial planes. https://www.airbus.com/en/innovation/low-carbon-aviation/hybrid-and-electric-flight
Air Canada has ordered 30 hybrid-electric planes for a possible delivery date of 2028. Mind you they are small 30 passenger regional planes.
OMG! Airplanes powered by LITHIUM batteries !!! Let's bring back the Hindenburg while we're at it!

Travel to dive is already a rich man’s sport.

Heavy CARBON FOOTPRINT no less than alpine skiing.

Airplanes, dive boats, compressors, tropical A/C plus the residue of transient tourists.

It’s already over, we just don’t know it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom