where in belize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@large_diver so I went on Itza's web site and their prices are very decent. have you been to the resort? Is their diving operator good/safe?

so I have a question. most of the resorts on the atolls/cays have arrival/departure restrictions since they include transfers by boat from belize city. what if i was to stay on a differant island for say 4 night and then want to stay on a differant island for the other 4-5. would I have to take the water taxi back to belize city and then hop on another taxi to the other island. just seems silly... would they pick you up at the island you are at and taxi you over to the other island?

Off the Wall is the only far off-shore resort I've been to (2x), which is out on Glover's reef atoll (Long Caye, not to be confused with another Long Caye closer to the Blue Hole). It is an eco resort, meaning no flush toilets, no AC...sort of like glamping in nice water-side huts cooled by the sea breezes. Owners Jim and Kendra are fantastic and the experience out there is about as chilled as it gets. The diving quality is definitely a full step above Ambergris. Based on your comments above, I think you would be bored after a few days at a place like OTW...since life out there is diving, SUP/kayaking, snorkeling, fishing, book reading, hammock-ing. Nightlife is drinking a beer watching the sunset on the resort dock.

I think most of these off-shore resorts only provide transport once/week. Some are at least 20-30 miles off-shore with a tiny population (largely just resort workers and guests), so I don't think the concept of a frequent water taxi really exists. Maybe others can provide additional info on the other resorts

One compromise for better diving combined with mainland activities is to stay south on the mainland.....deal with the longer boat rides out to the offshore reefs....and then go to AC for a few days

Last edited:
I think you'll find most if not all of the resorts on cayes aren't set up for island hopping. You would transfer from the mainland to the resort then back to the mainland.

But getting around Belize is pretty easy and can be done relatively quickly. When we stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge, there were several people who were splitting their vacation between there and either the mainland or another caye.

As far as traveling alone, my wife comes with me only every other time I go and frankly, she's not much protection, lol. Belize is very safe, with Belize City being the major exception, but as you would anywhere take common sense precautions.

@Downing thanks for the info... I will have a couple of days prior to hitting the islands since they usually go from sat- sat. so maybe going for a two night on mainland would be smarter than island hop.

be sure to get one of the mahogany carvings of the Maya scuba god on the beach in San Pedro.

I like BlackRock Lodge in San Ignacio if you wanted to try something inland. Also Isla Marisol picks up and transfers from Dangriga. I'm not a huge Dangriga fan but Hopkins is nearby and nice. You can jump on one of the Tropic or Maya puddle jumpers and get around pretty easily.

Last year I visited Ambergris Caye with some friends and went diving with Robbies. Had a great time and I highly recommend their operation!

Back
Top Bottom