Where in Cuba? North side? South side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverlady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So hubby has decided he wants to go to Cuba in December (my choices were Tobago or Utila).

We know of one diver friend who has been there several times and he goes to the north side in April/May. I've done a bit of research (and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!) and that has me leaning towards the south side as it seems to have calmer waters with less likelihood of blowing out our dives. Also, with the time of year we are going, I would expect the north side to be a bit cooler at least for water temps. Any info?

Now, from what I can see, Brisas Sierra Mar is a popular choice amongst divers and it appears close to town for topside activities. That would include mainly siteseeing, historical stuff.We're not into the nightlife scene. Also from what I've read, there is a dive shop on site.
Anyone know otherwise about this hotel?
Hubby wants shipwrecks so are there any nearby wreck dive sites?

Cayo Largo also appears to be a popular diving destination. However, being separate from the main part of Cuba, it seems likely there are few topside activities.
Can anyone confirm/deny?
There must be a diveshop somewhere nearby. Any info?
Any particular hotel choice on Cayo Largo?
Any shipwrecks around here for diving?

Thanks,
Diverlady

Check out Maria la Gorda on the southwestern tip of the island. Excellent diving from sites only minutes away from the dock. Water should still be in the 80F's in December, but I'm not sure about wrecks. Topside activities would include tours of tobacca plantations, cigar factories, rum distilleries, etc.

I did a couple of Dives off of Cayo Santa Maria (North Coast) in the first week of May this year (all of the resorts there are quite nice. 4 Star or higher). The only consistant downside inCuba seems to be the food....). The water was warm and extremely comfortable, even at depth (You'll probably gono deeper that 40' in that area). I didn't have my own Gear with me, so I rented and they didn't have a shorty to fit my "girth". As a result, I dove with trunks and T-shirt, and I was fine for both dives.We went to 2 different reefs and they were spectacular with a wealth of undersea life at both, but when I asked about it, ALL of the locals said that if I thought those sites were nice, that I should see the reefs on the south coast. From their perspective, comparing the North Coast (Atlantic) to the South (Caribbean) was like comparing apples and oranges.

That said: The diving on the North Coast was quite fun, and made for an excellent excursion.

Beck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom