Where in Thailand for low key, small boat diving and a nice beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Just looking to tap into the collective knowledge here and get a little advice.

My wife and I are in Thailand right now without a fixed itinerary, and have been doing some diving on Koh Lanta. It's nice, the dive boats are big and the outfits very professional (and the prices fairly high). However, our favourite diving holidays have involved diving off relatively small boats, in small groups and in an informal atmosphere: normally returning to the island/beach between dives (and sometimes 'booking' no more than 10 minutes in advance).

As it's our first time in Thailand we wonder if that kind of vibe exists here, or what people would recommend as coming close? We're a bit more in favour of small quiet resorts on quiet beaches than party central (becoming too middle aged!) so I've been ambivalent about Koh Tao based on comments on this board.

Anyway we're pretty fancy free for the next ten days or so - anyone have the same preferences and able to make a recommendation? Any advice from people who know these parts would be very gratefully received!

Thanks! CC

My wife and I are in Thailand right now without a fixed itinerary, and have been doing some diving on Koh Lanta. It's nice, the dive boats are big and the outfits very professional (and the prices fairly high). However, our favourite diving holidays have involved diving off relatively small boats, in small groups and in an informal atmosphere: normally returning to the island/beach between dives (and sometimes 'booking' no more than 10 minutes in advance).
Anyway we're pretty fancy free for the next ten days or so - anyone have the same preferences and able to make a recommendation? Any advice from people who know these parts would be very gratefully received!

Thanks! CC

If you're not so concerned about seeing the seahorse/frogfish/ghost pipefish/manta/whale shark and are more interested in the whole diving experience itself, I love you already! I hate divers with a shopping list.

If you're going to go to Phuket, great. But if not, I wouldn't recommend going there just for this purpose... (explanation coming up...)

I know a guy who can get you out on a long tail to go dive with the sea gypsies and observe them at work. I haven't personally done so myself, but we had discussed the possibility of running trips like that, especially for freedivers. But so far, it's only been for those who are especially interested and make a special effort to go. I've met a couple of people who have done it and they've had a great experience. There's no real timetable or format to it yet, so if you'd like to have a bbq lunch on the beach of one of the neighbouring islands, just ask before hand.

Call Jimmy at 0895861098.

Best of luck!
Stefanie

Unfortunately a lot of the best diving in Thailand involves travelling reasonable distances to get to the best dive sites.
The nearest I have experienced myself was longtail boat trips on Phuket, good fun but the dive sites were certainly not the best on offer in the area.

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

Koh Khao Khao
Koh Phra Thong
Phayam Island.

All a little out of the way, but still west coast

good luck and let us know

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom