Where in US to buy strobe arm adapter for Darkbuster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beezwax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just ordered a couple of those new (version 2) Brightstar 24w Darkbuster HID lights. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where in the US I could buy a strobe arm adapter for these lights...?

The Brightstar webpage says they make a YS adapter, but I have not found any listing for them in the US. I contacted Kalex in California via email, which Brightstar has listed as their US supplier, to see if they have this item but they have not responded.

I have seen this YS adapter listed by a few overseas retailers, like in Japan and Singapore, but would prefer not to have to attempt an international purchase. These shops also show that they have a ball adapter available for Ultralight Control System arms, which is not something I see on the Brightstar homepage...does anyone know if this is the same adapter that ULCS makes for Underwater Kinetics lights? I know those are readily available in the US, but don't know if they will fit the Darkbuster.

Any info is much appreciated....

Pm sent. I can get the ULCS universal mount that will work well for you.

Brent

hunter991:
Pm sent. I can get the ULCS universal mount that will work well for you.

Brent

Hi Brent,

Thank you for the prompt reply. If ULCS recommends their XL universal spotting light adapter (AC-USLXL), I take that to mean their Underwater Kinetics adapter (AD-UK) will not fit (?). It's the same kind of dove-tail channel, but I can't find its dimensions listed anywhere.

I looked at the AC-USLXL on your shop webpage-- it says it will accept lights up to 2" in diameter, which I assume is a typo (the Darkbuster is 4.3" in diameter). But I would much rather get a type-specific adapter than a "universal adapter" because I could fabricate the same thing out of a half-pipe of PVC tubing and a velcro strap if I went that route.

Are you able to get the YS adapter made by Brightstar? Their webpage lists the product order code as: 2B0400110.

Thank you for your time,
Beez

To answer my own question, in case anyone else is looking for this same item....

I finally heard back from Kalex, they said they do have the YS adapter in stock ($20 each) so I will order from them:

http://www.kalex.us/catalog/index.php
Direct Line: 408-661-2668

Give us a report on how that light works out for you and did you get the video reflector or the beam reflector and use the diffuser lens?

maximdim:
So how do you connect YS adapter to ULCS arm?

You need to put the YS adapter on the brightstar lights, and then on the end of your ULCS arms you need to use the ULCS Sea and Sea adapter (AD-SS). ULCS also makes a longer 3" Sea and Sea adapter (AD-SSL).

Bill51:
Give us a report on how that light works out for you and did you get the video reflector or the beam reflector and use the diffuser lens?

I've taken this rig out on three dives, and so far I'm really pleased with it. I will certainly make a post here if my opinion changes in the future. But it's an amazing amount of light for the price. It's hard to complain about 48w of HID light for under $600. Previously I had been using two light cannons (10w each) so the difference is huge.

I ordered the Brightstars from LeisurePro. They've got the 24w models in stock for $285 (and if you order before Monday, Dec 11, you'd even get free shipping). I got the video reflector which I would definitely recommend if you're planning to use them for any photo/video application. I also do use the included diffuser lense. The way the Brightstar is set up you never need to actually open up the housing. There is a locking ring on the outside of the light head which holds your lens in place. It would be a simple matter to make and add more opaque lenses if you want more diffusion. The lights come with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, and there is a port on the back to plug the charger in.

I am really interested in the darkbusters. On other forums they mention that the brighter lites tend to scare underwater life at times. Have you encountered any examples of this to date? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom