Where is the best diving in PR and how does it compare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearkeley, thanks for the info. How would you describe the fish life at Culebra compared to other places you have been? For example, is it mostly smaller stuff or did you see much like rays/turtles/eels/sharks/etc.?

I know we saw several good size Nurse sharks off Culebra, as well as some med size turtles and rays, both diving and snorkeling. Not large numbers of spectacular large marine life, but some in the mid size.

I just got back from a trip to PR, did most my diving out of Guanica and La Parguera along the wall, saw quite a bit of see life, turtles, eels, nurse sharck, no rays on this trip but often see spotted eagle ray when I'm diving there. The dive operations in that area are very friendly especially Island Scuba out of Guanica, they treat you very very well. Only problem in this area is that the viz isn't always that 80 to 100 feet like you get in other parts of the Carribean. Desecheo in my mind is the best diving in PR but you basically only have one dive operation that runs out there. I haven't made it to Mona yet but maybe on my next trip to the island, of course if you are looking for topside activities as well you'll want to stay on the main island. Hear the Zip line canopy tour through the rain forest is pretty good, hope to do that on one of my visits.

There are many great places to dive, but the best diving in Puerto Rico can be done in the south and in the west. Guanica and La Parguera is great. I always use Island Divers when I go to the south area (wall dive). Small operation, dive trips are not packed with divers, and most important they treat you well. They have a web site. To the west is Mona Island, the best diving in PR but it is too far. ALso on the west there is Desecheo Island which is great, specially Yellow Reef. If looking for shore dive, my Favorite is El Natural in Aguadilla. East Coast there are several places including Vieques and culebra Island.
Enjoy!

How do you dive the Mona Island? Are there any shops that schedule trips there? Since there are no liveaboards, I was thinking of doing a custom liveaboard by renting a compressor a few tanks and a boat that could get us there and keep us there for a couple of days? We can sleep on the island. No?

Check out divewestpr.com

Carlos -a member of this board did a great job reviewing sites and ops awhile back...he's a local guy out of Aguadilla and knows a bit of info about the west coast diving of PR....

Mona is quite a ways offshore, so best done with a liveaboard. We have dove it from the Nekton boats (since gone out of business) and the Spree services it every year in the spring. La Parquero is great on the southwest corner of the island but boat dives are needed, as the wall is a few miles offshore. In the northwest there is some nice shore diving off Aguadilla and the diver operator of choice there is Puerto Rico Technical Divers. Have fun!

While returning from a great dive off Desecheo Island I got to chatting with one of the DM's with Taino divers about diving Mona, and he told me that it is an all day trip just to get there. He also told me that as much as he loves diving there, he is very very careful about when he goes there. On one trip his dive boat was caught in a nasty storm, and he described a return trip where he alternately was waiting for the ship to capsize and go under, and hoping that it would just happen, and get his suffering over with.

It is a long way out from PR and back. and NOT a trip he wants to do again, ever, in a small dive boat in a storm.

While returning from a great dive off Desecheo Island I got to chatting with one of the DM's with Taino divers about diving Mona, and he told me that it is an all day trip just to get there. He also told me that as much as he loves diving there, he is very very careful about when he goes there. On one trip his dive boat was caught in a nasty storm, and he described a return trip where he alternately was waiting for the ship to capsize and go under, and hoping that it would just happen, and get his suffering over with.

It is a long way out from PR and back. and NOT a trip he wants to do again, ever, in a small dive boat in a storm.

It is a long trip, in fact it is a bit closer to the Dominican Republic than to Puerto Rico, and not a trip for a small boat, the Mona passage can be treacherous at times but by all accounts doable and well worth it.

I have stayed on the island, but have not dove there yet, it is on my bucket list. When I went we left PR in the very early morning (maybe 1-2 am), and slept through the trip, by the time the sun came up we were there.

Just a Thread Bump !!!

Will be in PR from 2012-03-03 to 2012-03-12, family of 3 Padi OW's with a 13yr old boy - will be his first warm salt water dive.

Staying in the Rio Grande area. Might try shore diving in Loiza.

I have an apartment in Loiza, and I do not know of any shore diving there. If you find one let me know. if you want yo can try nearby Fajardo. There are several dive shops there that can help you coordinate a dive. Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom