Where is the Best Overall Diving in Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll give it a few more days to look at flights. Prices and connections are still all over the place.

The Philippines is a great suggestion with many places in the best season right now. Oslob feeds whale sharks so we'll skip that one.

I gotta admit I've never had a good dive in Bali, will have to return for the mola molas.

How about Tioman? Singapore (scuba gear shopping and perhaps Universal Studios) + Tioman + KL (museums) + Cameron Highlands (mossy forest) would be a decent two weeks for a kid who loves diving but not willing to do 4 dives/day every day for two weeks straight like his big human, and we can avoid flights. I haven't been to Tioman, don't think I'll love it but it should be enough for my brand new junior diver. Malaysia will announce this week when they reopen.

Those whale sharks at Oslob are not being kept in captivity. They are free to go.
Diving at Tioman is very ordinary but readily accessible to Singapore.

Similan might just work out the best this time. I had such a great time there I don't mind going back, but sticking with Khao Lak. The direct flight from Phuket to Sai Gon will resume just in time, too. Taking my kid so I don't really want to deal with transits.

I'm proposing Puerto Galera and Anilao to my best friend for our two weeks getaway in May. We'll prob attempt to do 5 dives/day 7 days/week haha. Back in college, once every few months, we would take the bus to NYC on Thursday after class around noon, catch a Broadway/off-Broadway show Thursday evening, one on Weds afternoon and another in the evening, one on Friday evening, two on Sat, and one or two on Sunday before catching the bus back to school. Before diving, theater was my only expensive hobby, and returning to Southeast Asia means not a lot of theater anymore. My bank account is relieved I don't have to live somewhere with both excellent diving, skiing, AND theater.

Bali I'm saving for mid August with my junior buddy.

Back
Top Bottom