Where is the fun and sun in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefd8vr

Registered
Reaction score
I'm headed to Coz next week and am planning to stay at Casa Mexicana. Two questions: are there beaches nearby and can you shore dive from them. And is it located close to the entertainment/restaurant district? What is the nightlife like?

Are there any other comparable hotels in the same area anyone would recommend?

Thanks for the help! My first time to Coz.

Reefd8vr,

I don't remember noting Casa Mexicana specifically when I was there, but based on the map it looks like you're practically in town. If you're looking for nightlife a la E!'s "Wild On", you probably want Senor Frog's, which should be very close to where you're staying - it's on the Oceanfront main drag - you really can't miss it. Cozumel isn't like Cancun (or at least what I've heard of Cancun), so if you're expecting Mardi Gras-like celebrations, you'll probably be disappointed.

There are some public beaches a little north of the main square, but I'm not sure if they're worth diving. Near town, it's a more high traffic area - I don't think it's really a good idea to try to dive there. Your best bet might be to take a taxi to Chancanaab park (there's an entrance fee). When we were there, we stayed at Hotel Cozumel, about a mile south of the main square. We had to walk a bit to get into town, but the hotel had a private beach frontage that you could snorkel or scuba dive. Not as nice as the boat dives, but not bad either (better than Wisconsin's vis). You can get a taxi to this area, but I don't think there's a good way to do the entry from the public frontage.

Casa Mexicana is right on ther Water front next to Hotel Vista del Mar on one side, and Punta Langosta (Cruise ship dock on the other) That is where Carlos ans Charlies and Sr. Frogs are located. Viva Mexico is another place that is close for nightlife as well.

Dan Kom is correct and Vista del Mar is comparable. No beaches to speak of on the downtown water front but there are a lot of beach clubs south of town. I would suggest getting a map of the island http://www.cancunmap.com/ ck out this map. I ordered one and got in within a week and sent them a check after I received the map. What a deal. It is really a great map no one should be without it.

If you are staying at Casa Mexicana ask for a ocean view room on top floor best view. Same with Vista del Mar.

I guess what I'm really looking for is something fairly close to downtown that is $50-$100 night with a decent beach. Any help?

It sounds like Hotel Barracuda fits your need but it may be a bit more "functional" than you want. Barracuda is a long time staple of Cozumel divers with straightforward, clean, functional rooms and there is a small beach area with sand and a pier where alot of folks do beach dives. There wasn't much to see reef-wise in close to the hotel so some of the dive staff there at the hotel started a man-made artificial reef that has done surprisingly well at attracting critters! Barracuda would be in your price range, with a [man made] sandy beach/shore diving capability and is easy walking distance to the main plaza area.

Next closest options that fit your description are
PLGlorias ~ but room rates are more and there is no beach area
Hotel Cozumel ~ has beach diving from ironshore area, room rate in range but farther away from town.
Good luck with your decision! Have fun !

reefd8vr:
I guess what I'm really looking for is something fairly close to downtown that is $50-$100 night with a decent beach. Any help?

These hotels are within walking distance of town or a 3.00US cab ride

http://www.scubaclubcozumel.com/

http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/la-reina/inform.htm

They sorta have a beach area but they are manmade and not what I would call a beach but they are on the water.

The Plazas las Glorias and Hotel Cozumel are also within walking distance of town or a short cab ride.

I don't think you can get both intown with a beach.

Back
Top Bottom