Where is the good diving in Texas this time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. I know exactly where that is. My mom lives in Copperas Cove. You're about an hour away from Lake Travis. Vis has been running 3-10' and water temp right now is 66-68 with no noticeable thermocline. Lake Travis Scuba, Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba, runs 2 tank boat trips on the weekend 10am-2pm that always a good time. Robert (the owner) will take you out to places like Wreck Alley, Oasis Wall, Starnes Island and the Shaker Plant.
It's not going to be anything like Florida like other divers have mentioned, but if you just want to get wet and hang out with some fun divers you can't go wrong.

Carrie

15-20ft vis is the best I've gotten, at 10-15ft in Comal River. It's almost depressing. Been to Stillhouse Hollow Dam and Belton Lake as well and wasn't very impressed at all.

The Poor Dude.... oh how he suffers.
I hear sad music from the world's smallest violin as my heart bleeds peanut butter.

:rofl3:

OK Sonic, if you haven't guessed by now, here is the low down on the BEST Texas diving:

Possum Kingdom (maybe)
Lake Murray (Oklahoma)
Lake Elmer Thomas (Oklahoma)
Lake Broken Bow (Oklahoma)
Travis
Clear Springs Scuba Park
Athens Scuba Park (not mentioned yet)
Stillhouse
Blue Lagoon
288 Lake

The absolute best visibility in any of these locations IS . . . . . 20 ft.
Which one has the best vis? Just pick one. And that visibility is on a good day.

Learn to love low/zero visibility. We have :D

You've heard about those trendy clubs where people meet each other in total darkness..... Yea.. it's like that

TSD kinda started that whole thing :wink:

Clear water is about 2.5 hours south of Ft Hood - by plane.

Stillhouse is a lot better than dry skin. And it builds confidence. You can practice skills till your hearts content and you probably will never be interrupted by anything interesting to see.:wink:

Stillhouse is a lot better than dry skin. And it builds confidence. You can practice skills till your hearts content and you probably will never be interrupted by anything interesting to see.:wink:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Hey now, hey now. There's all kinds of cool stuff to see in Stillhouse! There's several boats, a motorcycle, platforms, treasure left by other divers, and the remnants of a water treatment plant. Plus, if you are into finding old bottles like me, it's a nice place to go hunting! Yeah, it gets dark after 40 feet, but you are right, it does build confidence, especially when you must trust your compass to get back to shore!

Captains Corner in Key West is good and does the new wreck Vandenberg. You might want to stay Marathon about 50 miles away and has some good diving as well. Hope this helps

Well, let's see.

there is Cozumel, Cayman, Belize, Roatan, Bonaire.

Hey now, hey now. There's all kinds of cool stuff to see in Stillhouse! There's several boats, a motorcycle, platforms, treasure left by other divers, and the remnants of a water treatment plant. Plus, if you are into finding old bottles like me, it's a nice place to go hunting! Yeah, it gets dark after 40 feet, but you are right, it does build confidence, especially when you must trust your compass to get back to shore!

From the water plant, you can drop down into the valley to the east and find an old hard surfaced roadway running north-south and a pretty serious bridge over the old creek. That roadway actually swings around to the west and passes a couple hundred feet south of the water plant. It is a good exercise in compass navigation - but it is also pretty boring. Last time I tried it, vis was so bad that my light disappeared in the silted bottom before I realized it was even the bottom.

I do my bottle collecting in the San Marcos.

Back
Top Bottom