Where should I dive in Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
If you just have 8 days then don't waste them travelling too far.
Where are you staying?
Is your Shark Dive at the start or end of your trip?
What sort of budget do you have?
I live here and operate a dive services company not linked to any resort.
Happy to give suggestions if you send me a little more info.
In the mean time have a look at Volivoli for low cost with great diving.

Do you surf? Look at Waidroka for a mix of dive and surf on one of Fiji's best at Frigates.

The suggestion of Beqa Lagoon resort is good but best check they are operating as the resort is for sale.

Cheers
Greg

Hi
If you just have 8 days then don't waste them travelling too far.
Where are you staying?
Is your Shark Dive at the start or end of your trip?
What sort of budget do you have?
I live here and operate a dive services company not linked to any resort.
Happy to give suggestions if you send me a little more info.
In the mean time have a look at Volivoli for low cost with great diving.

Do you surf? Look at Waidroka for a mix of dive and surf on one of Fiji's best at Frigates.

The suggestion of Beqa Lagoon resort is good but best check they are operating as the resort is for sale.

Cheers
Greg

Budget is variable - im not limited by cost but i'd rather focus on getting in some good diving as opposed to a luxurious holiday resort, etc. (this is the tail end of a trip with friends where i have 8 days extra). But i'd prefer cheaper diving to a really expensive resort due to time constraints if nothing else. Although i could also probably delay my outgoing flight if i find something longer that looked really good. I wasn't wanting to travel all over the place hence the reason that i thoguht beqa might be the easiest option as it is where the shark diving takes place. As for when the shark diving is to happen, im flexible on that (just would like to do it). Volivoli looks pretty interesting (dorm rooms appeal to me as im not all that fussed about where i stay). Not sure how i could incorporate shark diving and that tho as they seem at the polar ends of fiji.

Basically at this stage, i will be in nadi with 7-8 days. Beyond that, haven't decided anything concrete yet and definitely up for suggestions.

... how does it work being a solo traveller in terms of finding a buddy? Are there often otehr people doing teh same thing if hte boat (either liveaboard or from a dive resort) is large enough or do people not object to maybe going in 3s or is it basically a big nono to turn up without a prearranged buddy?...
I travel alone. I've never been unable to dive due to having no buddy. Often there is another lone diver and the DM will pair us up. Or you shout "Who needs a buddy?" On one liveaboard trip everyone else was couples. Several of those couples were happy to let me dive with them as a triple. I'd ask them what kind of profile they were planning and go with the couple that was planning a dive I was comfortable with. A few times none were, and then I dived with the DM.

Conclusion: No need to worry. Tell the DM what kind of profile you want to dive and ask to be paired with someone if possible. Or dive with the DM, who often knows the area better than any of the clients.

Have fun and dive safe.

Hi
A suggestion
Arrive Nadi, go directly to Pacific Harbour via the Coral Sun bus - departs Nadi about 7am and 1pm daily. You can book a ticket on arrival at the office just outside the arrivals hall. FJ$20. You can also get a taxi that will set you back about FJ$150 (haggle) The trip s around 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
Stay at Uprising Resort. Uprising may have a shuttle service from Nadi airport. Best check with them.

Book your Shark dive as soon as possible as they get busy. Two operators. Aquatrek Beqa (my favorite), or Beqa Adventure Divers. Both good and offer very similar packages and are based at within 5 mins of each other. They dive different locations though.

Book a 2nd day's diving with your chosen operator to do the soft coral dives in Beqa Lagoon.

That leaves you 6 days.
Going to Taveuni or Kadavu will take out 2 of those days in travel and may limit your last day's diving as you have to take an internal flight. Having said that, the other posts are quite right that these 2 islands do offer some of the best diving in Fiji. If that was your choice, I would opt for Taveuni as the best sites are not as weather dependent as Kadavu's Astrolabe Reef is.
If you want to maximize your diving days, then you need to stay closer to Nadi and avoid internal flights.
That leaves you with Beqa area as you suggest. You could stay at Uprising or move over to Beqa Island itself.
In the former case, you would continue diving with Aquatrek or BAD. Beqa Lagoon Resort has their own dive boat.

However, my vote would be for moving to the other side of Viti Levu. Volivoli as I mentioned is a nice and very economical spot. Dorms are about FJ$25 per night and are definitely above average. Lots of locals hang out at the bar of an evening especially if there's a rugby match on TV. Getting there is a bit of a pain. Easiest method is returning to Nadi town on the morning Coral Sun bus, and then haggling a price with a taxi driver from Nadi to Volivoli. The airport taxis are much more expensive as a rule. Expect to pay about FJ$100 for the trip. You can do it by local buses but unless you are short of cash, it is not worth the hassle.
Volivoli is run by a Kiwi family, the Darlings. who are divers and good fun. They also offer private rooms in a shared house. If you want to dive with them but stay more upmarket, you can look at Wananavu resort which is a few minutes up the coast. Far more comfortable but not the same atmosphere.
There are also a few options to stay on the island just off shore, Nananu-i-ra. Same dive operation but a bit quieter.
The main reason for going to this side of Fiji is the soft corals and the chance to dive the Vatu-i-ra passage. Really class on a good day.

Return from Volivoli to Nadi is best by taxi again. It takes about 2 1/2 hours.

If you need to stay overnight before your flight, best bet is the Raffles Gateway opposite the airport.

I hope that gives you some more concrete ideas.

Cheers
Greg

Excellent post from Fiji-Diver.

When are you going to be in Fiji? Maybe an idea to book some of your trip in advance as the shark dives are fully booked at the begining of September and Uprising can get full.

BAD has been seeing large numbers of bull sharks on each dive and regular visits from Scarface - the largest tiger shark.

Uprising Resort has a dorm room for 35 F$ per bed per night with breakfast.

But, if I were you and money was not an issue, I would check Nai'a for the remote possibility that she has space when you are in Fiji.

Just came back from Bequa Lagoon and Matava Eco resort on 12 Aug. I liked both of them. Saw Mantas at Matava, sea crates, sea turtles and heard Humpbacks. The reefs there were pristine. Matava is a smaller resort more laid back, less toursty. Well taken care of at both resorts.

Since it is only a $60 change fee I am going to change my flights to later to give me 2 weeks or maybe more do dive afterwards. So I can now consider a liveaboard or week long stay at a dive resort in addition to the shark dive.

Also for anybody that has dived mid-end of february - how is the visibility/conditions, etc.?

Last edited:
Hi
A suggestion
Arrive Nadi, go directly to Pacific Harbour via the Coral Sun bus - departs Nadi about 7am and 1pm daily. You can book a ticket on arrival at the office just outside the arrivals hall. FJ$20. You can also get a taxi that will set you back about FJ$150 (haggle) The trip s around 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
Stay at Uprising Resort. Uprising may have a shuttle service from Nadi airport. Best check with them.

Book your Shark dive as soon as possible as they get busy. Two operators. Aquatrek Beqa (my favorite), or Beqa Adventure Divers. Both good and offer very similar packages and are based at within 5 mins of each other. They dive different locations though.

Book a 2nd day's diving with your chosen operator to do the soft coral dives in Beqa Lagoon.

That leaves you 6 days.
Going to Taveuni or Kadavu will take out 2 of those days in travel and may limit your last day's diving as you have to take an internal flight. Having said that, the other posts are quite right that these 2 islands do offer some of the best diving in Fiji. If that was your choice, I would opt for Taveuni as the best sites are not as weather dependent as Kadavu's Astrolabe Reef is.
If you want to maximize your diving days, then you need to stay closer to Nadi and avoid internal flights.
That leaves you with Beqa area as you suggest. You could stay at Uprising or move over to Beqa Island itself.
In the former case, you would continue diving with Aquatrek or BAD. Beqa Lagoon Resort has their own dive boat.

However, my vote would be for moving to the other side of Viti Levu. Volivoli as I mentioned is a nice and very economical spot. Dorms are about FJ$25 per night and are definitely above average. Lots of locals hang out at the bar of an evening especially if there's a rugby match on TV. Getting there is a bit of a pain. Easiest method is returning to Nadi town on the morning Coral Sun bus, and then haggling a price with a taxi driver from Nadi to Volivoli. The airport taxis are much more expensive as a rule. Expect to pay about FJ$100 for the trip. You can do it by local buses but unless you are short of cash, it is not worth the hassle.
Volivoli is run by a Kiwi family, the Darlings. who are divers and good fun. They also offer private rooms in a shared house. If you want to dive with them but stay more upmarket, you can look at Wananavu resort which is a few minutes up the coast. Far more comfortable but not the same atmosphere.
There are also a few options to stay on the island just off shore, Nananu-i-ra. Same dive operation but a bit quieter.
The main reason for going to this side of Fiji is the soft corals and the chance to dive the Vatu-i-ra passage. Really class on a good day.

Return from Volivoli to Nadi is best by taxi again. It takes about 2 1/2 hours.

If you need to stay overnight before your flight, best bet is the Raffles Gateway opposite the airport.

I hope that gives you some more concrete ideas.

Cheers
Greg

Thanks so much, very informative. Since you know fiji diving really well, how do the conditions tend to be around Feb? From what ia understand it isn't the best time to go with it being the wet season and whatnot, but would i possibly regret setting up a large trip and having bad weather/visibility or is it fairly much and much?

Would you advise 2 shark dives? As i said in my last post i am going to extend my stay to increase my options. I was initially thinking aqua dives for the shark dives but it seems adventure divers have more packages. Something like a 4 night, 2 shark dive and one lagoon dive would appeal to me (i had emailed them a while back and they said something about offering customized packages). Then after that I should be able to do a week long stay at at dive resort. With travel that should put it at about 2 weeks. You mentioned you run a dive resort or something, where is that based out of? I'd love to have a chat on msn or skype if you were free sometime.

Naia liveaboard isn't an option as they aren't running a trip when ill be there. just phoned the volivoli resort - seems like a good option. The dorm accomodation is all i am really looking as i am going to be traveling by myself so i probably won't be spending too much time in the bedroom during that time ( :( ) I can do 7 nights accom for 150 FJD and then add on 12 tank dives and like 3 night dives presumably for a total cost of like 1400 FJD. Or take a package deal for 4 days with 6 tank dives, 3 night dives for a little over 700. Could probably even just buy 2 consecutive 4 day packages and stay for 8 days. So that would be a cheap option but somerthing that i would like since ill be traveling alone for that part and would rather have a more backpacker atmosphere (and already dropping 3k AUD on the first part of the trip so cheap is probably good).

So what would i be missing out diving wise doing volivoli as compared to taveuni? Somewhat comparable or a class above? The idea appeals to me much more than staying in a fancy resort since i am just looking to dive and lie on the beach as opposed to having a 3 course dinner, massage, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom