Where should we dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I'm having a hard time deciding where to base ourselves and where to dive while we are on our 'beach' portion of our Thailand trip. We will be heading down from Chiang Mai on Nov 27th and can stay in the area until Dec 4th when we will fly to BKK to head back home. We have 7 days and I'm just not sure where to dive with limited time. Initially I was thinking of flying into Phuket, making our way that same day up to Khao Lak and then diving Similian/Surin. I had another post going about a 2 day/1 night trip that goes to Richelieu Rock. I'm still looking into that. If not, would you rec'd a speedboat out to dive the Richelieu for the day or doing the Similian Islands. At that point would it be necessary to go up to Khao Lak or could we dive Similain and/or Surin based in Phuket?

Then I was thinking we'd move on to either Phi Phi or Koh Lanta and base ourselves there for the remainder and do a 1 day trip out around that area.

Or with only 7 days would you rec'd just picking one place and diving from there? Maybe a 2day/1 night trip to Phi Phi, Hin Daeng/Hin Mouang??

About us...we both have our AOW and last year did a 4 day liveaboard on the GBR. We are excited to dive in Thailand, but definitely want to use a good portion of the 7 days relaxing at a nice resort/hotel. We enjoy the option to check out various restaurants in the evening and also like exploring the area and love to rock climb.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions. If you were my Travel Agent where do you think you'd send me so I could get in some great diving, some great R&R without being too isolated?

Thank you!!!

Hi Little Guppie,

If I were your Travel Agent, I would firstly try and pursuade you to do a four night liveaboard out of Khao Lak diving at the Similans, Richelieu Rock, Koh Tachai and Koh Bon.

But if you really want to do more relaxing, I think you are on the right track with a 2day/1 night from Khao Lak and then head down to Phi Phi and dive Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and some Phi Phi sights.

Then its just a choice between Phi Phi or Koh Lanta. I would push you towards Phi Phi for its variety of restaurants and rock climbing.

I hope this helps a bit with your plans.

onthespot - thanks...that actually does help! Any little bit helps me to re-confirm what I'm thinking or think about it a different way. In your opinion would you say you prefer the diving out of Khao Lak then over the diving down by Phi Phi? If we did a 4 day liveaboard we'd only dive one or the other. Do you think Surin/Similian is the way to go if you had to chose only one?

If you travel aound too much - Phuket - Khao Lak - Lata.. you will not get any R & R, only traveling... if you have 7 days, fly in to Phuket, try to book in advance on a 4 day liveaboard departing maybe the same day (they almost all depart in the evening and all will be able to arrange pick up from the airport). Some boats depart from Khao Lak, some from Phuket. After the liveaboard, then you might consider a few days rest at a nice quiet beach, either at Khao Lak or one of Phuket's many quieter beaches.. maybe fit in a trip around Phang Nga Bay, a day trip out to Phi Phi....

Or if you don't want to do a liveaboard, fly to Phuket and do daytrips from there: Richelieu Rock, Similans, Shark Point area, Phi Phi, Hin Daeng/Muang, and enjoy the comforts of your hotel.

Liveaboard to Similans etc. would also be my first recommendation, but the daytrips are also really nice diving.

Krabi is also a great option. You can fly in from Chiang Mai direct to Krabi. The time you are here, you could choose either or both of our overnight trips taking in Phi Phi, Hin Daeng and Koh Haa. The overnight trips, you get one night hotel on Phi Phi. Otherwise our day boats can take you to Phi Phi, Shark Point or stay local. Big choice of dive sites.

When it comes to Thailand diving, most of the diving is great, you simply need to research the seasons and the weather patterns a little to ensure you are at the best places for the particular time of year.

In short, simply avoid the Pattaya area and you wont go far wrong.

Krabi is also a great option. You can fly in from Chiang Mai direct to Krabi. The time you are here, you could choose either or both of our overnight trips taking in Phi Phi, Hin Daeng and Koh Haa. The overnight trips, you get one night hotel on Phi Phi. Otherwise our day boats can take you to Phi Phi, Shark Point or stay local. Big choice of dive sites.

can you save me some research time and let me know who flies chiang mai direct to krabi? Also, if we did the overnight trip to phi phi, hin daeng and koh haa, are we then dropped back off in krabi? Or could we be dropped of on phi phi or koh lanta?

In your personal opinion, if you could only do one trip - similian/surin or phi phi/hin daneng which would you prefer?

Or if you don't want to do a liveaboard, fly to Phuket and do daytrips from there: Richelieu Rock, Similans, Shark Point area, Phi Phi, Hin Daeng/Muang, and enjoy the comforts of your hotel.

Liveaboard to Similans etc. would also be my first recommendation, but the daytrips are also really nice diving.

Can you tell me who does day trips to Richelieu from Phuket? And who does day trips to Hin Daneg/Muang from Phuket? Thanks!

Sooooooooooooooooooo many awesome options...that's why this is so hard!

Back
Top Bottom