Where Should We Go? - please comment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharksighter

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a dive trip sometime in April 5-6 nights maybe upgraded to 7-8. We both like big stuff and micro but not at the expense of low visability and strong currents. We want 80-150ft or forget it. She has left it on my shoulders to make the decision. Our last diving was done in TCI with Fifi and Beaches (lots of sharks, eagle and turtles, 100 lb groupers) so we don't want to go back to Provo just yet. When in herding situations we usually jump in 5 minutes before the rest and buddy dive. Here are the desinations I've been looking at all within my price range. It looks like Saba or Andros would be the funnest based on our interests - culture, hikng, eating out and kicking back. What are food costs in these places I heard Coz is pretty cheap vs Grand Turk ridiculous. We are both experienced wall divers.

5-6 day trip:
Saba - Scout's Place or Jullianes/Sea Saba
Andros - Small Hope Lodge
Grand Turk - Island House/Shore
Grand Cayman - Cobalt Coast/Divetech/Shore
Cozumel - Presidente/Scuba Du
Bonaire - Plaza/On site operator/Shore
Puerto Rico - Rincon or Guanica
Costa Rica - Diving Safaris

7-8 day trip:
Belize - Lighthouse Reef
Belize - Aggressor
South Bahama - Nekton

On that list I would do Saba only because I haven't done it before. I would add Little Cayman at the top of the list.

For big walls, they don't get much better than the North Wall off Divetech. Lots of turtles and some big pelagics come up the wall to feed. There's schooling tarpon in the shadows and we've seen schools of eagle rays go streaking past. Some barracuda and there's supposed to be bigger sharks, but we never saw any in a week of boat/shore diving. Also Stingray City to do once. Although I've read the post-Ivan recovery is taking longer than expected so although there are a lot of great restaurants and resort areas on Cayman, I'd check to see if they've reopened by April. Cayman was the priciest dive location for food/meals I've ever seen.

The Plaza on Bonaire is a nice resort, probably the second best on the island. It's not an older dive resort like Buddy's, Capt. Don's etc. so the accommodations are a little better. Toucan their operator is good(we dove with them) and the shorediving makes it attractive. No big stuff though, mostly you see tarpon waiting for a meal by the resorts and turtles around Klein Bonaire, other than that it's mostly reef fish and lots of macro life. The coral is superb though, healthy and blanketing the reef in most places. Just one small wall that I know of and most divesites bottom out around 130' max.

There is some hiking and other attractions but it really is a desert island, cactus, goats etc. so not a lot of great scenery to hike through except to the north there's some low hills/caves and maybe Slagbaai Park - we didn't make it there. Some good restaurants for kicking back and watching the sunset/locals but no nightlife to speak of except at the dive resorts and a couple places in town. It's quiet though. It's the most diver oriented place I've ever been to. We were doing 4-5 dives daily once we got the routine down. Food's a little pricey in the store since it all comes in by ship from Curacao, but the restaurants were surprisingly affordable.

Small Hope Bay lodge is on our short list too. Although the dining options are limited and I'd expect it's really quiet there from what I've read.

From what I've read on this forum, I get the general impression that Nekton can be a cattleboat liveaboard if the boat is full. I've been looking at the Aggressor or Cat Ppalu liveaboards, or Aquacat if I hit the lottery.

Where you from in northern Michigan??? i am currently in grand rapids but Have a place in East Jordan, and can't wait to be done with school and living back where things make sense. I hate the city.

I'm still contemplating SABA and getting nothing but positive feedback about the place. Aaron - I live in West Branch Michigan and own a small financial consulting business. I have been to Lake Charlevoix on many occasions>

I'd really like to hear how the diving at Andros compares with TCI and if the Liveaboard out of St Maarten/St. Kitt is worthwhile.

Take Saba - great vis (it's like tap water), reefs are unreal - pinnicles, reefs and walls. Look for the big stuff on the pinnicles (first dive of the day, apporx. 8:30 am). I went with Mike Wilson's operation - Saba Deep. Boat ride from St. Maarten can be a little rough. Enjoy your trip.

We dove Guanacaste, Costa Rica last May and the visibility was dismal (~10 feet), with a huge surge. So I think you can scratch that off your list.

On the cayes and atolls of Belize you'll get nice diving, with sharks and rays, but not a lot of land activities. For that, you might want to base yourself out of Placencia instead -- then you can combine diving with hiking, cool wildlife, Mayan culture and ruins, etc.

There are also more land-based activities (esp. Mayan ruins) near Playa del Carmen (vs. Cozumel), but IMO the diving is better over on Cozumel. (A ferry connects the two). Fantastic viz; we saw rays and turtles and plentiful fish in general.

Bonaire has lovely diving, with clouds of fish and great viz, but not really any big stuff, and very little to do on land except eat, drink, and pet donkeys. (As a city girl, I find donkeys, horses, and pigs almost as exotic as tapirs and monkeys, but I realize not everone feels this way :wink: ).

I've never been to any of the other places on your list, but from reading the other posts I think they may be some of your better bets. (Although I still highly recommend Belize, Bonaire, and Cozumel for what they do have to offer). Happy planning!

THAD:
I'm still contemplating SABA and getting nothing but positive feedback about the place. Aaron - I live in West Branch Michigan and own a small financial consulting business. I have been to Lake Charlevoix on many occasions>

I have dove the small wreck near a fish smoke house in the lake/riverway near town.
Lately there have been some negative reports about Saba. I haven't been there but it sounds like an excellent area. The liveaboard probably is the best idea.
I'm 30 to 40 min. west of Grand Rapids less than 1mile from the Big Lake. It's good to see other Michiganders at this site.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom