where to buy 1/2" flex hose for regulator (mares Abyss DFC port)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Mares sells one, good chance it was made by Miflex. If it was me, I would get the 1/2" hose, and drop an adapter in my save-a-dive kit. That original hose wasn't simply a random, old generation item. It was a design choice to deliver better performance.

I would get the 1/2" hose, and drop an adapter in my save-a-dive kit. That original hose wasn't simply a random, old generation item. It was a design choice to deliver better performance.

I would believe that if the diameter of the actual hose was more than nominal and it would be easier to swallow if Mares did not attempt/establish a world record by having some ungodly amount of people breathing off one first stage at the same time. I have the miflex Hose with the 1/2" hose fitting because the shop only had a 7ft hose in stock with that fitting....Before that I had a 40" long hose with an adapter between the hose and 1st stage....I can't tell a difference in terms of breathing performance with or without the adapter or "proper" hose.

To me DFC is like a CVT transmission...there is a performance benefit but it is only really realized under lab/test conditions, it all washes out in the real world.

-Z

Its a sales gimmick plain and simple. While the port and the 1/2 hose may well flow more air....with the second stage removed and connected to a high flow supply, the fact is the second stage and tank valve are the limiting factors in any reg. Besides that, the final limiting factor is the diver himself, as long as the reg can supply more air than he can use at his max, then it's good enough. Any second stage on the market today can supply many times the flow a single diver can inhale. Push the purge button and see if you can inhale all the air coming out.....it's like drinking from a fire hose. Some breathe with less effort or with more comfort, all of which is determined by the second stage, the first stage and hoses have almost nothing to do with performance of a reg, In the end , if the diver gets all he needs, there is no need for some super high flow rate........unless you need a sales gimmick.

As already explained clearly, if anything happen to the hose on a diving trip. Unless you brought along a spare otherwise you would have to hire a 1st stage!
DGX LP and HP Hose to First Stage Port Adapters
LP: 1st stage, 1/2" M to 3/8" F. $5.00

crud, wish I'd been able to find that when I searched DGX... I ended up paying $9 + $8 shipping from DRIS...

Its a sales gimmick plain and simple.

What I never understood is how a Conshelf SE-2 was rated by the U.S. Navy as a Group A regulator, while the Conshelf 21 was a Group B regulator when all that differed was the bore of the hose.

A simple plug is all you need for backup, (I think; I can check later). The other first stage ports are the standard size..

If Mares sells one, good chance it was made by Miflex. If it was me, I would get the 1/2" hose, and drop an adapter in my save-a-dive kit. That original hose wasn't simply a random, old generation item. It was a design choice to deliver better performance.
I am not convinced that a 1/2" opening will deliver better performance than 3/8". Apeks has dropped this practice quite a while ago. I still have two Apeks old models and the 1/2" port is either plugged or fitted with an adapter.
Plugging it is an option as long as it does not interfere with the routing of the hose.

Plugging it is an option as long as it does not interfere with the routing of the hose.

On regulators with a turret you can most likely plug the 1/2 port and use the 4 other 3/8 ports. This would work with an older DST. For other regulators without a turret you will most likely need to use an adapter. The OP's Abyss will have one of the right-hand ports as 1/2" so you cannot plug it and use standard hose routing. You need an adapter (or an Air-2).

On regulators with a turret you can most likely plug the 1/2 port and use the 4 other 3/8 ports. This would work with an older DST. For other regulators without a turret you will most likely need to use an adapter. The OP's Abyss will have one of the right-hand ports as 1/2" so you cannot plug it and use standard hose routing. You need an adapter (or an Air-2).

I must admit that it's been so long since I dove a single tank that I completely forgot about the octopus hose! Good point on the standard hose routing. If you plug the 1/2" port there's no place to put the octopus hose on the same side.

For the OP, Mares switched over to only Miflex-style LP hoses on the Abyss a few years ago in the USA except for the Navy model, which still has a rubber LP hose. Replacement hoses are all Miflex-style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom