Where to buy glue for trilam suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to glue a fabric pocket on a trilam suit. Where can I get the proper glue?

I have read that a product called E6000 works well or a second choice is Mcnetts Seal Cement which I have used with good results on neoprene suits but don't know if i would trust it with trilam.

I called Michaels, Home Depot and even called the Bellingham Target store. No luck.

I think 5th D in Seattle has it but I don't have time to have it shipped or do the drive.

The XS scuba pockets come with aquaseal, and I believe it works pretty well if you use some cotol to thin it out for a couple of coats. I used the seal cement and it seems to be working well, but I doubt its the preferred glue for the application.

The cheapest place I know to buy either of them is mountain equipment coop.

You could try calling Outdoor Innovations on Main street. They sell fabrics for constructing outdoor gear as well as repair stuff. I don't know what they have available, but I expect you could get some good advice on what to use.

I use contact cement from DAP called Weldwood for neck and wrist seals, It is available at the local hardware centers. I have never had a problem with leakage or peeling however I have never used it for pockets.

It has the same ingredients as the glue I received from a Dry suit manufacture years ago and is 1/4 the price. I buy it for $3.97 for a 16 oz can. I have done over a hundred seal with it so far. You might try that route.

I also use the blue painter's tape from 3m to prevent the glue from going where I don't want it to. I usually do three coats with 20 minutes between coats. Prior to bonding the two together remove the tape, stick, and roll out the air bubbles. I know it will work for the materials, I just can't guarantee the strength as I have never tried it.

I had a LDS suggest aquaseal but I have always considered the stuff a temporary fix.

Thanks for the Outdoor Innovations suggestion. I have been there before but had forgotten the name of the place. It think they mainly sew stuff but they might have a suggestion.

I guess most LDS send suits out for this sort of thing which is probably what I should do. I did my own pocket on my old neoprene suit and it worked great with the seal cement but I am a bit nervous of screwing up with the trilam. Maybe I will just dive without a pocket for the weekend and put my SMB and back up depth gauge somewhere else until I can send the suit to the manufacturer.

When I replaced the neck seal in my tri lam I sewed it in with nylon thread and used heat seal tape on the seam. I got the tape from whites. I think the pockets are sewn in and taped from the inside at the factory. I used a regular sewing machine, but getting the suit under the needle was a chore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom