Where to dive in June in Asia for 2 intermediate divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, we are a couple currently living in Hong Kong and looking to do some diving for 10-12 days in last 2 weeks of June. (Time is not flexible as we will need the grandparents to baby sit our kids at home, and we need to accommodate their schedule). We have approx 75 prior dives, but have taken a 5 year break from diving since my last child was born. So we are not newbies but also not experienced divers either. Previously we have taken diving trips to:

Grand Cayman
Belize
Bohol Philippines
Sipadan/Mabul
Misool Eco Resort
Wakatobi Resort

In particular, Misool just blew our minds away! Wakatobi just pales after our Misool trip (although service top-side at Wakatobi was top notch).

I suffer from sea-sickness, my husband does not. We have never done a liveaboard before. We usually like to discover new destinations every trip, so right now I am considering the following:

A land-based trip in Northern Raja Ampat - Turns out Garuda Indonesia has a direct flight to Sorong from Jakarta now (yeah no more Express Air!) and it's pretty cheap now to fly to Sorong from Hong Kong. Only 700 USD! So it's not prohitively expensive to do a return trip. Only concern is June being monsoon season, will it significantly affect our diving experience?

A land-based trip in Komodo - Komodo is definitely on my bucket list, but I am worried that we would not have enough experience to handle the current there. Also Komodo sounds better to do as a liveaboard? Round trip airfare to LBJ is only 450 USD though. Can you get current diving training while at Komodo?

A land-based trip to Palau - Is Palau better than Indonesia? And is the current diving in Palau easier than Komodo? Round trip to Koror is 700 USD

I haven't considered other places like Fiji or PNG as flight cost is a little more expensive for me to get to. Originally I seriously considered Tavenui but scrapped the plan when I realize I will miss the Great White Wall dive due to timing of my trip. Maratua/Sangalaki requires 2 transfers to get to.

So where should I go? I value safety above all else, so would like recommendation based on our diving proficiency level. Thanks!

Hello! I'd like to help by providing some information about the currents in Komodo. The diving is certainly advanced; however, professional dive guides would give you tips and tricks to improve your skills in current. A check dive is normally in order before any other dives and your guide can then make recommendations from seeing you in the water. Onboard the Adelaar, we usually have the leisure of going crescendo in the difficulty of the dive sites. If you did feel uncomfortable in current, a liveaboard will have the flexibility of several tenders to possibly send you to an easier location nearby the difficult site. The other benefit of a liveaboard is that you would get to see more of the Park as day trip boats don't normally go South. If you get seriously seasick, a land-based operation would indeed be best for you. If you would still consider a liveaboard, please contact us at info@adelaar-cruises.com about our Bali-Komodo-Bali 10 nights trips. I wish you the best time on your holiday wherever you may end up!

Last two wks in June is too late to dive Tubattaha in Philippines.
Scuba Junkie Komodo is a land based operator and constantly received good reviews. They also have various operation in other places eg. Sangalaki. Sipadan. You can get to Derawan(for Sangalaki) via Tarakan(1 stop) or Berau(2 stops) from HK by Garuda. But both places(Tarakan or Berau) require a long land or sea transfer to Derawan.
Palau is only good on liveaboard(personal experience) but June is probably not a good time. Typhoon.
My suggestion:
Komodo + Bali

Hi Sharka, if you enjoyed diving in Philippines, and the service level of Wakatobi and Misool Eco Resort, you might want to check out Atmosphere (atmosphereresorts.com) in Dauin, Philippines. Atmosphere is a high end resort & dive operation located on Negros Island, west from Bohol.

Our diving is mixed macro and reefs, and all our dive sites are very close. Dauin's dive sites are max 20min from resort, and Apo Island is only 30-40min boat ride away, which makes managing your sea sickness pretty easy. We also offer single dives in the coast with speedboat, so that you'll get back to land for the surface interval, and our House Reef in front of the resort (with shore entry) is one of the best sites of the area. The diving is easy with mild or non-existing currents, unless you are heading for drift dive sites, so it's great for beginners too.

June is also a great time to dive in Dauin. It's not even close to monsoon yet and we usually have full sunshine with blue sky. It's hot though because there's no wind at that time of the year, but that also means that the sea is like a mirror then (= no waves to make your sea sickness worse + great visibility for diving).

There's a domestic airport in Dumaguete, 20km away from the resort, and you can fly there via Manila (1.5 hr flight, available several times a day) or Cebu (40 min flight, available 1-2 times a day).

Check out our website or contact me directly for more info: saila@atmosphereresorts.com. Have a great day!

Last two wks in June is too late to dive Tubattaha in Philippines.
Scuba Junkie Komodo is a land based operator and constantly received good reviews. They also have various operation in other places eg. Sangalaki. Sipadan. You can get to Derawan(for Sangalaki) via Tarakan(1 stop) or Berau(2 stops) from HK by Garuda. But both places(Tarakan or Berau) require a long land or sea transfer to Derawan.
Palau is only good on liveaboard(personal experience) but June is probably not a good time. Typhoon.
My suggestion:
Komodo + Bali

A head's up though, ScubaJunkie's doesn't have any air conditioned accommodations. (If this has changed, please advise me ASAP. LOL as I will then be there ASAP)

A head's up though, ScubaJunkie's doesn't have any air conditioned accommodations. (If this has changed, please advise me ASAP. LOL as I will then be there ASAP)
How soon is ASAP?
Because SJ Komodo has AC!

Wow!! Sadly, I've just left Southeast Asia after an extensive stay. ASAP for me will probably be late next fall.:(

SJ does not have an operation at Sangalaki even though it calls itself SJ Sangalaki. They are based at Derawan, which is at least 30 mins by boat to Sangalaki, Kakaban, or Maratua.

SJ does not have an operation at Sangalaki even though it calls itself SJ Sangalaki. They are based at Derawan, which is at least 30 mins by boat to Sangalaki, Kakaban, or Maratua.
I also wonder why called SJ Sangalaki when the resort is actually based on Derawan.
I also wonder which is the best island to be based if one wants to dive all four islands. Interesting all these four islands offer something different from the others.
Getting there is just pain in the backside(really physically)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom