where to dive in va?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

latemp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
are there any places around va to dive with decent visibility? the only time i dove around here was in a lake for training, when the visibility was 3 feet. are there any off shore places with decent visibility or do i just need to travel elsewhere. also thickness suits do you guys use here?

We have lots of good diving off the Va. Beach coast, vis typically runs 20ft on most of the wrecks.
Though I heard that some of the in-shore (60-80ft) stuff had some awesome vis for a while. 40-50ft .
But I generally do the deeper stuff as that tends to have better vis. We had 60+ ft on the Chenango earlier this year, & had at least that on the Mexicana late last year. Both in the 150fsw range.
I dive dry in anything below 60 degree water temps or if air temps are below 60 no matter the water temp.

We use Lake Rawlings for training / tune-ups. Decent Viz and SCUBA only.

Lake Rawlings - A Scuba and Camping Park

Happy Bubbles

Mike

Did my AOW through DM dives in Rawlings.

I like Rawlings, and it isn't far from Hampton. I wear my 7mm with full hood, gloves, and booties, but it got warm enough last August that I probably would have been much better with a 5mm or 3mm, and I didn't even use gloves or hood. There are LOTS of fish, so that is pretty neat. Welcome to Virginia!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom