Where to do my divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm currently 20 and in my second year of uni, and I'm probably having another year out between my 3rd and 4th years. In this time I want to do my divemaster.

I did my Open water and Advanced in Koh Tao during my gap year, and I'm trying to decide where to do my DM. I want somewhere that's fun with lots of other people my age, but also with great diving.

I see lots of people saying Utila, but my sister just did her instructor course there and she said it good but not the best diving. Also, she wants to come with me while I do my course and she'd rather not go back there. Other places I've seen are Indonesia and the Phillipines but I don't have a lot of information on what life's like there and how good the diving is.

Basically, I want somewhere with diverse marine life: sharks, turtles, rays etc. but somewhere I can also have fun. Preferably with inexpensive food and accommodation.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

If you are hoping to go the "professional" track beyond Divemaster (i.e. Instructor, etc) I'd give first consideration to building a relationship with a facility that can give you extended opportunities over the long term for experience working with students etc.

Divemaster and beyond is about developing serious professional responsibility, 'people skills' with a primary commitment to their safety, and building hands-on assisting experience. It needs to be more than just enjoying the best scenery if you are to get lasting satisfaction from your efforts.

Ah sorry I didn't notice this section was all about going pro, I just saw there were divemaster posts so I posted here.

I'm not currently thinking of going pro, I've just heard it's a lot of fun and a great way to learn new skills and improve my diving ability. It also looks better when I search for a job post-uni that my year out was spent helping to teach people rather than just diving for fun.

Ah sorry I didn't notice this section was all about going pro, I just saw there were divemaster posts so I posted here.

I'm not currently thinking of going pro, I've just heard it's a lot of fun and a great way to learn new skills and improve my diving ability. It also looks better when I search for a job post-uni that my year out was spent helping to teach people rather than just diving for fun.

The reason there are posts here in the Going Pro branch is that "divemaster" IS considered a "professional" certification. The main reason to pursue a DM certification is to be able to be hired to lead others on dives, though many DMs consider it as an intermediate step toward their ultimate goal of becoming an instructor. If your main goal is to "learn new skills and improve diving ability," there may be better ways to do that than taking a course that mainly teaches you how to lead other people on dives. There are many discussions on Scubaboard about how to do that, because someone asked just that sort of question: "What can I do to become a better diver?" Consider posting that question instead.

Hi Stu Chainz :)

Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, may fit the ‘bill’ you’ve described in your post! :wink:

At Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures’ premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre in the Tunku Abdul Rahman marine park, where marine life is plentiful, offers an amazing opportunity to experience the pro diver lifestyle!
World class scuba diving of Sipadan Island is a short flight from Kota Kinabalu international airport, which you would receive a discount as candidate of any of our professional scuba diving internships (this includes the PADI Divemaster)!
In February/March, a juvenile whale shark migrated through the parameters of the protected marine park, and a groups of students from a local university were so fortunate to have witnessed the largest species of fish in the world! Migrating seasons will vary though, so usually we see the whale sharks in the beginning of the year…but that’s not to say we’ve never seen them at other times of the year! Other migratory species include: blacktip reef sharks, eagle rays, sea turtles (quite often!); and typical marine life are numerous, such as nudibranchs (lots of macro life!) to schooling fish (jacks, trevalleys and barracudas)!

Kota Kinabalu is the capital of the northernmost Malaysian state of Borneo, Sabah!
You’ll find (as our past interns have) that the cost of living is cheap – a massive benefit when you’re just starting your Go PRO career, right? A meal (depending where you dine though) can cost as little as US$2!!!
Our Go PRO internship programs includes private en-suite accommodation for your convenient comfort, with van and speedboat transfers between your hotel, KK marina and our island beach house. Everyday you are also provided a freshly cooked buffet-style lunch when you’re at the Dive Centre too!

The only thing in your list I couldn’t attest to is that there will be plenty of other Go PRO interns your own age. But to be honest with you, it’s hard to tell the age of a diver…as divers seem younger than they really are, because they’re so happy to do what they love! :wink:

Have a browse through our dedicated professional scuba diving internship program website: www.goidcasia.com

We’re also really active on Facebook and Twitter if you’d like to follow what our current internship candidates get up to on a daily basis at our Dive Centre :)

Back
Top Bottom