Where to find sharks in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfbarry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

As a new resident of the island, diving has certainly become an addiction. One thing I have been disappointed with is the lack of shark activity I have seen. With 15+ shore dives ( airport, Ulua, black rock primarily),4 dives at Molokini and 2 dives at Lanai I have only seen one (what i believe to be) a grey reef shark pup at molokini. Anyone know if any shore dives happen to have a good variety of shark species that are usually hanging around ?

Thanks so much

Sean

You can see White Tips down at the 5 Graves area, White Rock, or up at Shark Pit (if conditions are good to dive)... Molokini is a great place to see sharks but it's mainly White Tips.. I have seen Black Tips but very far off in the distance. Sharks are out there... The more you dive the more chance you will have at seeing some!

We have seen White Tips at the Mala Pier... Also Honolua Bay could yield some sharks...

Sean

Agreed, Mala ramp... Shallow dive generally always a White tip or two.

Diving is like fishing if ya don't have a line in the water ya won't catch fish... Gotta be under water to see um....

best of luck!

thanks for the info. Im looking at heading over to Mala on Friday morning, i hear its a great dive

Sounds like just bad luck so far...
5 Graves is usually a given for white tips, as is the 140ft shark ledges at Molokini. Grays and blacktips sightings are sporadic, but if you keep diving, you'll eventually see them.
Just dont dive off Kaupo or the brackish water of Hana or you might get more than you wish for. :wink:

Not much shark activity around Makena Landing and Five Caves lately. Almost all that I've seen in recent months were either swimming with a large Ulua hook in their face or showing signs of healing from those same hooks. Used to be a regular sighting in that area. Not so much anymore. I think they are getting fished out or scared off. It's a shame.

Not much shark activity around Makena Landing and Five Caves lately. Almost all that I've seen in recent months were either swimming with a large Ulua hook in their face or showing signs of healing from those same hooks. Used to be a regular sighting in that area. Not so much anymore. I think they are getting fished out or scared off. It's a shame.

that IS a shame. They always seemed to be sleeping under the ledges, etc around the Makena diving areas. . . .Maggi

Back
Top Bottom