Where to find snowflake morays on the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've always been a big fan of eels, especially snowflake morays. Saw a bunch years ago in Maui and later had one in an aquarium in college. Last year when I was on the Big Island I was sad I didn't see any. I'm going back next month and would love to be able to find one. Any suggestions on where is the best chance and what company goes there? I'll be up at the Mauna Lani near Waikoloa, but can go into Kona if needed. I'm also planning on renting a tank and doing some shore diving just out from my hotel, so maybe some in the shallow water there?

Last year I did a single dive off Kona for manta rays and the rest of my dives were with Manua Lani Sea Adventures right from the hotel. I haven't booked anything yet for this year, so if there are other must sees in the area, please let me know!

Thank you!

They are super common on Maui - I've never seen them on Hawai'i Island. Hawai'i is funny that way - critters that are common on one island are near impossible to find on another.

That is what I feared. Oh well. My wife would never let me live it down if I picked a trip destination all because of an eel haha. Maybe I'll get lucky though. Either way, as long as I'm in the water I'll be happy. :D

Just over a week from my trip. A bunch of dives planned with Mauna Lani Sea Adventures, a couple with Jack's Diving Locker, and am planning a morning of shore diving near the Mauna Lani. Now I just need to get my wife diving so I have a justification for afternoon dives everyday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom