Where to find Spotted Eagle Rays in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A group of us will be in Curacao this summer. One couple has yet to see a Spotted Eagle Ray. I have seen one at Porto Marie. Any other suggestions on where to find these beautiful creatures? In Cozumel they are more plentiful in the winter months. I do not know if this holds true in Curacao. Thanks in advance :D

Janine

We've seen eagle rays at Watamula. Ocean Encounters West has really short boat trips, Andreas can probably tell you the best spots. We also saw a manta ray on the east side of the island, great diving but we were diving off a zodiaq. The water is choppier and you have to hold on tight on the ride out there, not for everyone but it was fun!

Have seen several schools at Alice-in-Wonderland at Lodge Kura Hulanda/OEW in December of '08 and '09.

Unfortunately only had one picture turn out.

Attachments

• PICT0048.jpg
    PICT0048.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 254
You just never know. I've seen them at Alice in Wonderland and at Lagun as well as many other sites. Places with some sand patches are supposed to be good, but I've seen them where there is no sand at all.:idk::idk:

Like with most free roaming critters, you need to be in the right place at the right time.

We saw one at about 80 fsw in the sand flats at Playa Kalki last summer. It was somewhat entangled in monofilament line but swam away before we could get close to help it out.

Sandy flats in general are where we've seen them in general, throughout the Caribbean. But as bkpix says, ya never know until you look up / down / sideways / behind you what you'll see where and when.

Thank you everyone for responding :D We are staying on the West end so all sights you listed will be close to us. I have heard about the East Point dives with Dive Charter Curacao. The North coast dives have also piqued my interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom