Where to find Spotted Eagle Rays in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those going to Curacao soon, if the past is any indication of the future, there will be sightings of all kinds of interesting creatures for several weeks before I get to the island. So if you are going in April or May, you may get to see whales, whale sharks, mantas, hammerheads, orcas and who knows what else.

They will probably be gone by mid June, though! :wink:

Scubaboard warning: My comments in this post are to be considered "tongue-in-cheek." This is defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as "characterized by insincerity, irony, or whimsical exaggeration." Such comments are sometimes identified in an internet forum post by the inclusion of a winking smilie face, like this: :wink:

Janine, You've been here for a couple of visits. It is time to consider an east coast dive. It is an early one; We left around 6:30 to allow for morning traffic but got to the harbor with plenty of time to snack on some sweet bread and something to drink. Plan on a whole day, I think we got back to the car around 3PM. The seas were a little rough and we never made it to the Eastpoint but I loved our 2 dives, Niels and crew are great. I've got to admit, I'm afraid of the ladder on the big boats with rough seas and didn't mind swimming into/getting pulled into the zodiac. It felt very adventurous.
We took our new diver nephew to the plane wreck next to Watamula today; very clear and great coral formation; no hammerhead and no manta rays. They must be waiting for June to make their appearance. Wait a minute... :wink: That's better.

...no hammerhead and no manta rays. They must be waiting for June to make their appearance.

Oh, let's hope so!!!!

Loempias and mantas. :D

This has been very helpful information! In Coz. it is very unusual to see an Eagle Ray during the warmer months. It sounds like that is not necessarily the case in Curaco. When we were diving Porto Marie in 1/2009 I was photographing some boring Lizard Fish (sorry to all the Lizard Fish fans) when an eagle almost glided by me undetected. I was so excited to get a front shot of him feeding on the sandy bottom. I hope my friends will get to finally see one. Sunshine, you are right, I need to check out the East side. I guess I can buck it up and rise early one day of my vacation :wink: Isn't June the peak seasonof fire coral (Levity as defiined by Webster's: Inclination to make a joke of a serious matter)?
3245512701_37f6e9461a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom