Where to find stick maps (mexico)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dylanfromwinnipeg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When people go and survey caves and build the stick maps, is there a good place to go for other divers to find them. I know a bunch exist (I've seen them in a binder my instructor has). But as your average cave diver is there a place on the internet you can go to find them? I've found a handful scattered among various sites, but there doesn't seem to be a good place to go to find them. I'm surprised that something doesn't exist for this.

I know QRSS has 20 or so beautiful cave maps you can buy in printed form from the local shops. But they don't have stick maps on them.

Thanks. I’ve seen that site before and have it bookmarked. But from what I can tell most (all?) of the maps on there are really old. Where’s all the surveys done in the past 10 years?

Well, last year when I was in MX cave diving I saw a map of one of the sites on a table. I asked if I could snap a picture of it and the guy grabbed it and ran off. Maybe they are getting more protective of them now for some reason?

The argument I hear is that the people who have the maps don't want to make them available to random tourist divers, because they may end up diving beyond their abilities.

To me that feels very elitist. I would love to see the information more freely available (not necessarily free as in beer, I'm happy to pay. But today there's nowhere to go to pay, it's all about knowing the right people), but I'm not having much luck convincing the people I know in the community down here to come around to my way of thinking.

Stick maps? I'm not sure. . . Under the Jungle have a number of high quality survey maps that are framable IMO (but I'm kind of a sucker for a good map).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom