Where to get certified by August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @bubblesmd

Not that it is close to you, but Florida would offer many options. Much of SE FL is open for diving now. I do not know when the Keys will reopen, some operators think June 1.

Best of luck to you and your family

I meant to just like this post, but I clicked reply instead. I agree this will be your best bet for warm water and a sure bet to get to. Now, as far as having an instructor with you, I don't know. I thought I saw one of the FL operators was not letting people hire private DM's for dives right now.

Agreed! I'm not a fan of cold water diving either - but also don't want to "waste" warm water dives for training. As a result I've sucked it up, rented a 7 mm wet suit, and done a few certs locally at Dutch Springs in PA - it can be quite cold and the viz can be absolute crap (last Rescue course was ~2 m viz @ depth), but it does give you a different perspective (and reinforces my strong prerference for warm water, high viz topical dive destinations :)).
That is where we dive. In addition to my 5mm "spring-suit" for high-summer, I just got a new D6 7mm (to replace my holey, squashed Henderson 7/5) and I have (with an ongoing saga) a drysuit, in order to be comfortable diving there.

~2 m viz. You must have been there on a good day. :rofl3: Late summer into early fall is miserable for viz. There is nothing like being the sweeper on intro night dives when it gets really bad. It does add a certain Je ne sais quoi to S&R dives when you have to feel for your target, though. When it gets clear, it can be really cool. I found (big) things 20ft from points I dove a whole season on that I never even got a hint of before.

One other note on Dutch. (At least) some of the headings on the map slate are wrong, way wrong, you ain't gonna find it in 2m viz wrong, make me feel like an idiot on my Nav dives wrong. :mad:

I meant to just like this post, but I clicked reply instead. I agree this will be your best bet for warm water and a sure bet to get to. Now, as far as having an instructor with you, I don't know. I thought I saw one of the FL operators was not letting people hire private DM's for dives right now.
They can probably get a referral to a destination-local shop who will coordinate the dive (boat or spring) and perform the OW checkouts.

Google private PADI (or the other agencies) instructors that are local or within reasonable driving distance. Best scuba decision I made was hiring a private PADI instructor to do my AOW while in Bonaire a year ago. With the Instructor's PADI number you can check the PADI site for authentication and the levels they are able to teach with certification.

I believe Mexico is open. The cenotes would not even be weather dependent.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. The wife and kids are cold water adverse so I'm definitely looking at warm water destinations. Don't want to turn them off diving from the get go!

I will look at Mexico and Florida. Hawaii was our original intent, but they've extended Shelter In Place and Quarantines until end of June at least.

Has PADI relaxed the time frame restriction for completing dives? That would be my first course of action.

I remember getting told not to long ago that if the ow dives and / or certification dives are done with the same dive op as the cw / theory then the time limite doesn’t apply. The time limite is for referrals.

Has PADI relaxed the time frame restriction for completing dives? That would be my first course of action.

I remember getting told not to long ago that if the ow dives and / or certification dives are done with the same dive op as the cw / theory then the time limite doesn’t apply. The time limite is for referrals.

From the PADI Training News, Dated 9 April 2020, available on the PADI Pro site:
No Time Limits on PADI Courses
These important reminders are especially relevant while and where COVID-19 prevents inwater training.

Q. How long does a diver have to complete a PADI course?
A.
There is no time limit as long as the student diver resumes training with the same instructor, or with another instructor at the same dive center. A PADI Referral is valid for 12 months from the last completed training component (except Advanced Open Water Diver which has no referral time limit); however, this is not the case for course completion with the original instructor/dive center.
If there is a 12-month (or longer) break in training, have the student diver complete new administrative paperwork. Assess and remediate where appropriate to resume training.

Q. What if I issued a referral and the student diver didn’t use the referral within 12 months?
A.
Consider the student to still be in training with you. Have the student diver complete new administrative paperwork. Assess and remediate where appropriate to resume training.
Use the student diver’s course materials, prescriptive lesson guides, knowledge reviews, etc., to conduct a review of course knowledge and conduct inwater skill reviews until you’re confident the student is ready to move on to the next step in the course. When ready, complete the training, or reissue a referral form, restarting the 12-month clock.​

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. The wife and kids are cold water adverse so I'm definitely looking at warm water destinations. Don't want to turn them off diving from the get go!
Fair enough - I tolerated the cold water but didn't really enjoy it - so I could see the family not having a good time either!

Back
Top Bottom