Where to get certified, mid-January? (Thailand)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brendan H

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all, thanks in advance for your help!

My wife and I are traveling to Thailand, Sri Lanka and Vietnam (in that order) in January, February and March. We'd like to get certified at the start of our trip, which will be in mid-January in Thailand, and from what I've read, the Andaman Coast is our best bet that time of year, weather-wise.

I was hoping someone could recommend a good location to learn to dive, and a good dive shop in that location.

The other thing I was wondering, for a 4-day certification, do we have to book the exact days in advance, or just show up and start the course?

Thanks for your help and apologies if I missed a thread that responds to this exact question!

Brendan

Have you considered doing the academic and pool portions at home and then just doing the checkout dives at your destination, which would leave you more time for fun dives?

Have you considered doing the academic and pool portions at home and then just doing the checkout dives at your destination, which would leave you more time for fun dives?
Yes, we definitely have! If a dive shop will let us complete the theory section in advance, that would be a plus!

Yes, we definitely have! If a dive shop will let us complete the theory section in advance, that would be a plus!

This is *very* common, especially in the winter. You do your academic and pool work locally and get a referral to an instructor at your holiday location for your checkout dives.

All PADI affiliated shops allow you to do this. You will be asked to show proof and to do an abbreviated theory test if you did this at home.

We have dived with Scubafish on Ko Lanta three times and cannot recommend them highly enough. The diving there is wonderful and I'm sure that you will love it. We did our Advanced course with them back in 2009 and they were fab.

Have a great trip

You could really do the course anywhere. Koh Tao will be your cheapest option, West Coast will be more expensive but also offer you better diving.

A referral course (so theory and poolwork in advance, certification dives in Thailand) is a good option, but will be more expensive than doing the full course in one place. You could also chose to do the theory in advance and poolwork plus certification dives in Thailand. That would be possible for the standard price, and the course would take just 3 relaxed days, even on those days giving you plenty of time for other things.

In general you don't have to give the exact days in advance, a general idea will quite often be enough, but depending on busy it is a detailed planning can be helpful.

If you decide to come to Phuket I'd be happy to help you with this.

Koh Tao is a great little island with a friendly and welcoming vibe catering from high end villas to backpacking hostels. There are a lot of dive centres to choose from and as stated all will accept a referral of academics or pool work providing it's been completed within the same agency: PADI or SSI.

I've done lots of training with Master Divers in Mae Haad and would recommend them without hesitation. They focus on the quality of teaching, not quantity of students and max group sizes are 4. I had a 1 on 1 course. The equipment is well maintained and multiple boats allow flexibility in courses. The staff are great and very experienced, adding a very knowledgeable and personal touch to the course. If you're traveling to the East coast, you won't find a more professional or reputable dive centre.

Another recommendation - Poseidon Dive Academy Ao Nang Krabi. Beautiful place and excellent instructor.

Yet another suggestion. Similar to many PADI 5* IDC/IE's, Bent Posejpal offers a very thorough IDC/IE out of Phuket.

In January, i would recommend you the west side of Thailand, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Phuket side, this is the dry season, so the best diving in Thailand in that time of the year. I could also recommend you to do e-learning, that means do all the theory before you arrive.
One place that I always recommend is www.aussiediversphuket.com the owner is from Australia and provide quality courses. Darren is also a PADI Course Director.
I wish you a wonderful trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom