Where to get nitrox cert on Big Island? AOW dive options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capybara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're doing our Advanced Open Water on Big Island in about a week and will have 1 extra day at the end to either do another dive or go to the volcanoes. Or I was thinking about getting nitrox certified. Any recommendations for who does this on Big Island without charging an arm and a leg? We're doing AOW with Kona Honu but their nitrox class is more expensive ($250 for 2 dives) versus $230 for 5 dives with AOW (actually 6 because we bought the book ourselves so they throw in the 6th free). Jack's charges $275. Ouch. I think it's $125 at our LDS, but it's hard to make it to weeknight classes with our work schedule.

Any thoughts on which AOW dives to do? We're definitely doing deep, nav and night. For the other 2 dives I'm considering Peak Performance Buoyancy, Underwater Photographer, Fish ID, Search and Recovery, or any others you recommend?

capybara:
We're doing our Advanced Open Water on Big Island in about a week and will have 1 extra day at the end to either do another dive or go to the volcanoes. Or I was thinking about getting nitrox certified. Any recommendations for who does this on Big Island without charging an arm and a leg? We're doing AOW with Kona Honu but their nitrox class is more expensive ($250 for 2 dives) versus $230 for 5 dives with AOW (actually 6 because we bought the book ourselves so they throw in the 6th free). Jack's charges $275. Ouch. I think it's $125 at our LDS, but it's hard to make it to weeknight classes with our work schedule.

Any thoughts on which AOW dives to do? We're definitely doing deep, nav and night. For the other 2 dives I'm considering Peak Performance Buoyancy, Underwater Photographer, Fish ID, Search and Recovery, or any others you recommend?

It sounds like you're doing PADI. If so, check with the instructor (or shop) and see if you can do your knowledge development (classroom work) up front and the do 2 of your AOW dives ON NITROX (this is within standards). If so, you might be able to get this done a little cheaper and then still have the extra day for purely fun dives.

Scuba Shack does nitrox for $125 including two tanks of air....I vote for the S and R and Peak preformance bouyancy for your classes. Call Jay at 808 331 8708. Tell him Brian sent ya! If you have a "free" day that happens to be on one of my days off, we can take the boat out and I'll show you some of my favorite spots. Enjoy your visit!

Wildcard:
Scuba Shack does nitrox for $125 including two tanks of air....I vote for the S and R and Peak preformance bouyancy for your classes. Call Jay at 808 331 8708. Tell him Brian sent ya! If you have a "free" day that happens to be on one of my days off, we can take the boat out and I'll show you some of my favorite spots. Enjoy your visit!

Thanks Wildcard for the tip! I called Scuba Shack and we signed up with Jay for his nitrox class. It's $125 per person including 2 shore dives, and gear if you need it, and he can lend you the book/video. Looking forward to it, I'll let you know how it goes.

We decided to visit the volcano on our last day, since we'll be diving all other days on our vacation. We signed up to do a doors-off helicopter tour with Tropical. But my husband googled online and looks like they've had 2 crashes before, one fatal. Yikes! Should we be concerned about this company in particular compared to other helicopter companies?

The helo companies are all good. Get the volcanos and waterfalls tour. The waterfalls just up from Waipo valley can only been seen by air, and 8 hour hike or boat and are the highlight of the island IMHO.
When are you going to be here? Big storm hitting right now but should blow over in a couple of days.

Suggestions appreciated from Wildcard and anyone else in the know about Big Island. We're coming Feb 5-10. Staying at Outrigger Keahou next to Kahalu'u. Is Kahalu'u diveable or only good for snorkeling? Any suggestions for easy shore dives not too far from Keahou/Kona in case we want to poke around a bit after our AM boat dives? Favorite restaurants nearby? We also want take a day to drive to Volcano National Park, then to Hilo for a 2:30 helicopter tour, and go to a luau at 5 pm in Waikoloa. Is this doable, or are we being crazy? How long does it take to drive there usually? Any suggestions for quick/interesting stops along the way to Volcano? What should we do while we're in the park (given the time limitation)?

We decided to do Buoyancy and Photo in addition to the Deep, Nav and Night, because those are probably the ones we'll use most on every dive.

It's a two hour drive roughly from Kona to Hilo. I don't think you have a chance of doing both. Do the helo if the weather is clear. First flight of the am is your best bet. It is a MUST DO. JAy will take you to "two Step" for your nitrox dive. It is the single best shore dive on the island IMHO. The harbor dive is good as is old airport. Puako is also very good. Jay has maps printed out with details of all the spots. I think all the dive shops do. Don't forget to slow down and enjoy the island! Aloha

capybara:
[...] Is Kahalu'u diveable or only good for snorkeling? Any suggestions for easy shore dives not too far from Keahou/Kona in case we want to poke around a bit after our AM boat dives?

Outside the breakwater it's diveable, but (largely) uninteresting. Just north of where you're staying along
Alii Drive is Mile Marker 4, a popular shore dive. Further north is the Old AIrport. Both are covered
here.

capybara:
[...]Favorite restaurants nearby? We also want take a day to drive to Volcano National Park, then to Hilo for a 2:30 helicopter tour, and go to a luau at 5 pm in Waikoloa. Is this doable, or are we being crazy? How long does it take to drive there usually? Any suggestions for quick/interesting stops along the way to Volcano? What should we do while we're in the park (given the time limitation)?

If you plan a day trip to Kilauea, and still make a 14:30 helicopter ride in Hilo, you're in for an early start.
Kilauea is about 100 miles away from where you're staying, and the road is 2 lanes the whole way. Count
on 3 hours to get there. To get some idea of what to expect from Kilauea, the USGS has good information about
the current conditions there.

My personal preference when we take guests to see the volcano is to head down there timing our
arrival for late afternoon, so that we can see the surface flows after dark. Take sturdy shoes, flashlights
and drinking water - sometimes its a bit of a hike. But, when the pali (hillside) is flowing well it's the
best show in town.

Hilo is another 45 minutes past Kilauea.

There's no way you'll make a 17:00 luau in Waikoloa, unless you have the helicopter drop you off.

As for restaurants, close by is Jameson's, which has a great view, and somewhat spotty service and
food (sometimes it's good, sometimes not). Further north along Alii Drive, "in town" there are quite a
few restaurants. One of the more polular ones is Huggo's (in the interests of full disclosure, it's owned
by friends of ours). And there's the ever-popular Kona Brewing Company a bit further north, behind the
FIrestone dealer. My wife and I very much like Bangkok House across the street from there in the King
Kamehameha Mall for Thai food.

For fine dining you'll need to head to one of the resorts along the Kohala Coast or to Merriman's in Waimea.

I forgot to remind you to pick up you book and video from Jay so you can watch it in your room before hand.. His classroom is still being used for storage. Aloha and enjoy your visit!

Thanks WileEDiver, Wildcard and gkndivebum for your suggestions.
Two Step/Place of Refuge sounds like a great shore dive.
I called the luau and they said dinner doesn't start till 6:30. So we have about 2 1/2-3 hrs to get there from Hilo after the helicopter tour.
Hopefully the rain will clear up.
Maybe I'll be seeing some mantas this time tomorrow!
By the time I come back I should hopefully be AOW and nitrox certified!

capybara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom