Where to go 9/5 - 9/13?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ginjg

Registered
Reaction score
We just found out we can take a dive trip the first week of September and need a recomendation.

We'll be leaving from L.A. and would prefer somewhere within 7 hours flight time.

We're both AOW certified with over 100 dives. We prefer boat dives, love swim throughs, maximum bottom times, and very small groups.

We've already been to Maui (twice), St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Cancun, Ambergris Key Belize, Grand Bahama, East End Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Any suggestions?

ginjg:
We just found out we can take a dive trip the first week of September and need a recomendation.

We'll be leaving from L.A. and would prefer somewhere within 7 hours flight time.

We're both AOW certified with over 100 dives. We prefer boat dives, love swim throughs, maximum bottom times, and very small groups.

We've already been to Maui (twice), St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Cancun, Ambergris Key Belize, Grand Bahama, East End Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Any suggestions?

Since you posted this extremely broad question of the Central American section, I would recommend that you skip the Caribbean, maybe even the less Hurricane proof places like Aruba-Bonair-Curacao as well as the Bay Islands. It is, after all, the rainy season.

If I had your money, I'd go to the Galapagos.

RoatanMan:
Since you posted this extremely broad question of the Central American section, I would recommend that you skip the Caribbean, maybe even the less Hurricane proof places like Aruba-Bonair-Curacao as well as the Bay Islands. It is, after all, the rainy season.

If I had your money, I'd go to the Galapagos.

It's likely I posted in the wrong place.

I'm not sure how I conveyed a big budget. All the Galapagos trips I've seen are beyond our means. But its on our "someday list".

ginjg:
It's likely I posted in the wrong place.

I'm not sure how I conveyed a big budget. All the Galapagos trips I've seen are beyond our means. But its on our "someday list".

Naaah, I meant that in its most literal sense. If I had YOUR money meant just that... if I had yours to spend and not mine :wink: Planning 'last minute' travel might be big bucks.

Don't ignore the Galapagos. You can do it very cheaply if you do it any way EXCEPT the ones that our SCUBA magazines trumpet.

To disagree with Scuba Diving Magazine, there are ways to see the Galloping Pogos that are as interesting as and cheaper than ANY liveaboard.

See our trip report at http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm

You can travel cheaply last minute as long as you are flexible about your destinations and willing to do some web research. You need to find out what cheap tickets are available, and then what the accommodation options are in each possible location. Dive operators have no problem booking just a few days - or even hours - in advance. We booked a trip to Costa Rica in May only 5 days in advance and everything was still cheap and wide open. (Perhaps bevcause it was pouring with torrential rain and the visability was dismal. Sigh.).

Anyway, have you considered a return to Hawaii? I highly recommend the Big Island, and the weather should be beautiful in early September. A relatively short flight from LA, and quite inexpensive. Much of the Caribbean is suffering from hurricane season now, of course -- although we are going to Roatan in 8 days, so have our fingers crossed! The Cabo San Lucas area of Mexico might also be worth looking into - I haven't been there but have heard positive reports.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom