Where to go in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would check into Freeport Ray or Ray Lightbourne at AquaSports. I spent 3 days diving with him and his previous outfit. He is local to the area, very professional, but will keep you laughing and smiling the whole time you are out of the water.

I have not dove in the Bahamas but have been researching recently.
There is a place in Lantana, Fla. that motors over to Bimini on a Friday morning, YOu dive that afternoon and Saturday morning and Sunday morning and motor back Sunday afternoon. You stay in a house with other guest on the boat and all meals are prepared for you. $500pp This trip does not run every week as the owners (DM and boat captain) have normal jobs and do this about once a month I think. Mermaid divers. I hope to do this sometime this year. Just a thought

Frankly, you are better off flying over & doing your dives rather doing a crossing from FL to The Bahamas.

No matter how close it looks on a map, you need to have about a 3 day "weather window" to assure yourself of a good trip across The Gulf Stream; 1 or 2 days of "clear weather" simply leaves too much to chance. And believe me, you do not want to be making a Crossing in lumpy weather, or with any winds that come out of the North (from the NE, NW, or N) because they build up very high, very short waves when the wind meets the northbound Gulf Stream.

That's why there are very few operations that make the run from FL to the Bahamas. Too much travel time & too risky weatherwise.

I just got back from the Bahamas myself. Just wanted to wish you a great time, I've been going on and off all my life and love it.

Cheers,
Lilla

Back
Top Bottom