Where to go in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsbeech

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all...my husband and I are planning to go to the Bahamas for Thanksgiving, but are not sure of which island to choose. Any suggestions? Also do you recommend any particular dive op?
Thanks...

xsbeech:
Hi all...my husband and I are planning to go to the Bahamas for Thanksgiving, but are not sure of which island to choose. Any suggestions? Also do you recommend any particular dive op?
Thanks...

The Bahamas are a very big country , at least a whole mess of islands. You can go to Grand Bahama or Nassau and get pretty much so the standard dive op without a whole lot of deviation or difference.

The outer islands of the Bahamas are inviting and much less defiled and spoiled. Answers to your question would be quite different, island specific, and quite varied by operation for those "dots in the sea".

Where ya headed?

well we weren't sure whether to chose G. Bahama or Nassau - the other islands are probably out simply b/c my husband gets bored to death on islands when he is not diving...
So any suggestions on dive ops in GB or Nassau

We went to Grand Bahama in April of this year and had a great time.
Stayed at the Crown Plaza Resort and got a really good deal thru TRAVELZOO.COM, $62.50 a night! about 1/2 normal cost.
We dove with Sunn Odyessy Divers, Nick and Karen Rolle are the owner/operators with over 20 years in the business and a perfect safety record. Wonderful people, the dives were very nice, we made mostly shallow dives as my wife is fairly new to diving and Davido the DM and Patrick the Rolle's son were excellent guides and DM'S.
Topside there are some nice restaurants, and tourist shopping in Lacaya. It was quite windy in April so we stayed mostly at the resort by the pool rather than going to the beach and getting sandblasted, but the beaches are real pretty with nice white sand.

hope this helps, best wishes
Marc

In Nassau, most of the sites and wrecks are on the Southwest side of New Providence Island. The two primary dive ops on that side are Nassau Scuba Centre and Stuart Cove. NSC is the smaller, more personal op, and Stuart's is probably 5 times as large. I've dived with both, and they are both fine. It just boils down to which style of operation you like.

Bimini, freakin sweet......
Stuff to do on land also (compleat Angler), divin is top notch, out island so no high rise hotels, just an awesome out island atmospher

You should rule out Eleuthera. I've been trapped there all freaking summer... diving there SUCKS. Everything is covered in Monodictyon algae.

I definitely agree with what others are saying about Bimini. A lot of variety and a lot of great dive sites.

xsbeech...myself & hubby are planning on going to Nassau for Thanksgiving also. if we go will be there from Nov. 22-28th. what dates are you going if you go??? maybe we can meet up and do some diving together if you're interested, and if you go to Nassau

actually we decided to go to freeport from the 19-23 (we had to change our dates) but thank you so much for asking - maybe next time!!
have a blast!

bimini is great, but the compleat angler burned down on Jan 13th which was a Friday night this past year...lost the owner in the blaze...the island still offers great diving.

have you ever considered liveaboard vacation since your husband likes to dive, dive and dive some more!? I did aqua cat out of nassau into the out islands of the exumas and got both the big island experience on each end and the out of the way diving of the exumas during the week- even offered eco adventures so we could get off the boat every day and do something different on the islands. was pretty cool

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom