Where to go in the Carribean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peanut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for recommendations on where to go in the carribean. We will probably go sometime late Oct or early Nov. Have been to the following already and would rather not repeat:

Cozumel
Roatan
Bahamas (Cay Sal Banks on Nekton)
Belize (twice on Nekton never from land)
Little Cayman
Saba
Bonaire
Palau
In the states, NC, West Palm Beach-Boynton Beach area, Keys

We need to limit it to the Carribean since the Pacific is one of those 10 days lots of money trips we only take every other year or so. We love liveaboards but don't mind land based if there are at least 3 dives a day available. We loved Belize (that's why twice), Saba and Palau. We felt Little Caymen and Roatan were o.k, not crazy about Cozumel or Bonaire (I know the only people in the world who don't like Bonaire). Of course, Palau was the best. We both (my boyfriend and I) have more than 300 dives each and are certified in all the advanced specialties and well as cavern. Currents are no problem (I kind of like them), we would rather not go on dives we have to stay with the group (he takes video) and no large cattle boats. We don't do "roughing it" or camping like places (I've gotten to old for that and we can afford not to).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Pirate's Week is the second week in Grand Cayman. That can be loads of fun. You can find just about any type of dive experience you need there, as well as a large variety of dive operations.

We had a wonderful time diving in the BVI -- There's a liveaboard there, Cuan Law, that the captain of our charter used to work on, and he had great things to say about it, and encouraged us to consider that boat for another trip.

Sorry to reply off subject, but am trying to plan next summers' dive trip. I see you really like Belize on the live aboard...We like land based...Can you suggest something?

Have you ever heard of San Andres Island or Old Providence? I usually would recommend Old Providence. Getting to OP is another flight but well worth it for the right person. They are a small group of islands in the western Caribbean. Not well known by Americans but frequently visited by Canadians and Europeans and of coarse Colombians. But don’t let the fact that it is a Colombian island detour you it is a Caribbean Island not Colombia. Hurricanes are not really a issue, they usually form in the area but do not get to hurricane force until the have moved far enough away not to effect the islands. They speak both English and Spanish on the island. The diving is comparable to Bonaire, Cozumel and Belize.
Any way there are a few write up on SB and a little diligence you can find out about the islands.
If you need more info just ask I am not from the islands but my wife and son live there and I visit once a month. I know all the dive operations and places to stay so if you need help or have any questions contact me.
Ciao
Tad

For someone well-traveled around Caribbean diving, you could consider CUBA. It's got diving on par with the best in the Caribbean (Belize atolls, Cozumel, etc) at Maria la Gorda in the W. and Isle of Youth in the S. Great place to visit, warm, laid-back folks, and interesting divers from around the world. Presently it is illegal for US citizens to spend their money in Cuba, but plenty go there thru Toronto, Montreal, Cancun, Bahamas... even meet Republicans there who are smarter than Bush (OK that's a low bar).

It's not the carribean, but what about La Paz? I have been to many of the same places you have and in my opinion La Paz is as good as any. October is very good there. November things start to transition a bit so it may be hit or miss.

Tobego.

good Diving - food - good people.

stay at the Arnos Vail.

My vote is for BVI or St. Lucia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom